1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by trey gardner, Apr 18, 2009.

1. trey gardner

trey gardner Guest

parents r bitchin about life but idk
    should i go artist or chef or photographer
    idn wat do u think(*hug*)

2. Greggers

More important: What do YOU think.

Its foolish to put your entire life into other peoples hands like that. You choose your own path, and quick, before someone else chooses it for you!

Good luck with whatever you pick (*hug*)

3. GhostDog

In my humble opinion, you should do whatever you dang well please! But if you do go the way of the arts, then be prepared to either eke it out while you work on selling your work, or get a day job that leaves you with enough energy to keep making art, but will feed you while you wait on it to sell. Though, this is assuming you mean fine art. There are a number of arts programs in my own university that are geared towards some pretty nicely paying professions! I don't know very much about the culinary arts though, so I have no advice.

And judging by the title, I'm guessing you're wondering whether to go to college for these things? I say go for it. I went to college for art, myself, and I have had a few second thoughts now and again, but I realize that if I had to do it over again I'd make the same choice!

But do keep self-sufficiency in mind. :slight_smile: "Starving artist" only sounds good in books, haha!

4. Greggers

< -- Is a starving artist *cry*

5. epiphanies

Dude, you're 13. You have plenty of time. A lot of people don't know what they want to do, and they are already IN college (about 7 years ahead of you.) A lot of people change their minds too. Keep your options open and see what you enjoy. When I was 13 I wanted to be a singer, and now I want to be a physicist. Feel free to start looking at colleges and universities, but don't set your life plan just yet.

6. Shevanel

You are young, you've got a LONG time to decide, even when you're in college you don't have to decide what career you will have, even after college (although its probably a good idea by this point XD). Don't limit yourself, do what you want to do the most, what will make you the happiest. Don't do something just because it'll make you good money but you know you don't like it because you will be miserable. but Like i said, you've got a LONG time to think this through. your interests will change. (*hug*)

7. Jeimuzu

At 13, I still wanted to become a chef. Then I decided on architect, then computer programmer, then teacher... I'm now thinking about Computer Architecture/Hardware Design.

Try to take your time, keep your options open, and make sure that whatever you do is something you both want to do, and are confident is the right choice for your career. For example, some degrees AREN'T good. Try and get a very general degree, it tends to work better in the job market.

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

follow your heart. but I will say this, there are many artists (think about teaching and doing art stuff on the side), photographer- magazines, internet, newspapers, etc. and chef- you could open your own restaurant.

People should do what they want to do and not necessarily go for the money. I'm currently having issues with this.

9. EM68

Take you time. Your are 13 and still have plenty of time to decide what you want to do. Don't stress out over it. Heck there are some people that go to college and don't pick out a major for a while.

10. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

All I an say is do what you enjoy the most, if you don't enjoy something you are not going to stick at it and do as well as it as you could. Don't worry what otehrs think it's what you like that counts.

11. TheRoof

um yea, as other people said above, take ur time.
    dude ur only 13 and there's tons of time to actually seriously consider ur future career.
    for now, just know what interests u and stuff, and follow ur heart.

12. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

You're only 13, why are they trying to make you figure it out now? Then again, I remember being that age and getting the same thing shoved at me. I had no idea then, either, so it's not like you should be really expected to know.

Like everyone else has said, take some time and figure it out for yourself. College is a long ways away still for you, so you DO have time--no matter what anyone says. Heck, you can even still be undecided for the first bit once you do make it that far. College is pretty cool like that :slight_smile:

13. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

You're 13, aren't you a little young to be planning college out now? HS rarely has any real baring on college. You usually have to retake all of your last classes, but that's it. Winning popularity contests, honors roll, they really have nothing to do with college. SAT scores, however, are the only real exception. But that's if you're goin big.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was said a few times above, you are only 13. You have plenty of time to think about what is that you want to do. In a few years you might decide that none of the three choices that you have listed are for you. Once you start college you might decide to become an accountant or an economist....the point is, don't worry about it at this stage. For the moment try your best at school, try to do a good job. That's all you can do at the moment. As you go through high school you will find out what interests you, which might be very different from today. Most likely you want to pursue that in college/university.

#14 Mirko, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your parents are putting pressure on you to decide what you want to do with your future right now, I think you need to talk with them. Like other people have said, you're only 13, and most people haven't figured out what they want at that age yet. Try a little bit of everything, study hard, and let the world tell you what you're meant to be doing.

16. Nixon

Good
    Point