1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of the closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musicenthusiast, Mar 18, 2017.

1. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really just want to be out to all of my family. There's this LGBT+ club at my uni which has a closed group on facebook that I want to join but I'm scared my family will see I'm in it. I've already come out to my Mum and one of my sisters and they have been really great about it but I still have to tell my Dad, brother and older sister. I'm just really sick of having to try to hide a part of myself. I'm pretty sure that everyone will be ok with it, but it doesn't make it any less stressful. Anyone know how to make it any easier?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In cases like this, it often ends up being like getting a splinter on your finger. There's a lot of screwing up your courage to pull it out..and then it's really no big deal.

You might enlist the help of your mother and sister. They might have some ideas how best to approach the rest of your family.

Lex

3. musicenthusiast

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks that's a really good analogy, I probably am making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is. Yeah I should ask them for advice, I'm just still a bit uncomfortable talking about it with them, even though they're accepting. I know that's a bit silly though. I guess the more I'm open and honest the more comfortable I'll get. Thanks for the advice!

4. dvxqnc

I was in the exact same situation. Came out to my mom and some of my friends, but I was terrified to tell my dad because of what he would think. My mom and I basically double-teamed and kind of told him together that I was gay. Turned out he didn't care at all.

It might seem really scary, but if you're suspecting that no one will care, you just have to do it. I was super afraid to come out as well but I've received nothing but support.

5. musicheals315

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know the feeling, I want to come out to my family, but they live in a different state and I don't see them often. We're not the kind of family who talk on the phone that regularly so I've been really struggling with how and when to come out. I'm also still hesitant because I'd like to have some kind of experience, even just a kiss to know "for sure" that I'm gay before coming out. Anyways, i think the advice to talk to your mom and sister about how to come out to the rest of them is probably good. My tentative plan is to come out to my sister first and then have her help me come out to my mom, my mom can tell my dad because we don't have a good relationship. Anyways, good luck, and I love your profile pic! Hannah is my favorite :slight_smile:

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I had a facebook, I joined all kinds of LGBT facebook groups and my family had no idea.

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's a closed FB group, then your family shouldn't have any idea. Closed groups are hidden from your FB Friends unless they are also a member of the group. Any posts, comments or likes stay within the group. Just be sure it's a "Closed Group" and not an Open Group. Typically you cannot share a post from a Closed Group as it will be disabled.

FB groups are a great way to interact with the gay community, but be advised not all groups are posting things you want to see in your news feed. Or simply leave the group if you decide you don't like it.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: