1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Describing that feeling as you're about to announce you're not straight...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CharacterStudy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CharacterStudy

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - please move if so.

As my name suggests, I'm a writer. I'm also not 100% straight though I'm in a hetero marriage so have generally lived as a straight woman. In my current MS I have a character who is bi but has managed to ignore that for years, and is finally coming out to the best friend.

I'm trying to pin down those feelings you have just before you say something you might regret (like, "Actually, I'm bi"), so I can get this accurately in my story. As I've only come out to 1 person, I only have imagination and 1 experience to draw on. I have almost said something to others, but have never quite managed, and I'm trying to capture that teetering feeling just before you speak.

- Burning face
    - Shaky
    - Sinking feeling in gut
    - Can't look at the other person
    - Feeling as though you're about to jump from one big rock to another, but not 100% you'll land safely.
    - A sort of teetering feeling

Can anyone help me here with experiences of how they felt in that exact moment?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first time was almost 5 years ago. It will be 5 years ago a week today. I had an anxiety that I had to come out to someone. It was burning for weeks so much so that I left work early on March 26th, 2012 and typed an email to a friend. I said I was gay. I waited two minutes......and I was nervous, anxious and yes had a sinking feeling in my gut. Then I hit 'send'. There was no going back. I thought my head would explode. I did it. No fake names. No hiding. The person on the other end knew me. An hour later I got a reply of acceptance (and a bit of surprise). She told her husband and co-workers as I said....I cannot hide anymore. I gave her permission as they knew me too. We conversed a bit longer and I told her it was a relief but it took 48 hours to get over that first bit. I felt better then. Relaxed and relieved and gaining confidence. Do I regret it? Never! It's scary but honestly it felt right as time went on.

3. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You pretty much got it, I would add that sometimes(I found)you get all tense/stiff and start to sweat. Just a thought

4. CharacterStudy

Thanks! There's some useful feelings and words in here that capture that really speak to me.

5. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Palms sweat. Never knew they could do that.

6. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that you already captured it really well. For me it's mostly a feeling that time suddenly stretches out. Everything around me feels like it's happening in slow motion while my mind is running in circles and I repeat the sentence over and over in my head. And then there's that moment when I finally spit the words out and I don't even know how I worked up the courage to do so. And right afterwards I can't believe I just did it. Suddenly I'm not even sure if that really happened. Time seems to stop totally until the person I'm with reacts in some way.

7. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    anger for having to "come out" who cares who you sleep with
    tears
    hopelessness
    crying
    fear of being thrown away by the ones you love

8. tealreality

I came out to a friend about a month ago. I had texted him that I wanted to meet up and wanted to talk to him, but I didn't tell him what. I was so scared to tell him, but so anxious too. I played out what I was going to say to him in my head so many times.

When I finally was there in the moment, I was so scared, like butterflies. I knew he knew what I was going to say, but he let me say it. I needed to say those magic words. I then said that I was questioning my sexuality and that I was thinking that I might be gay. A floodgate of emotions burst open. I alsmost began to cry. (In fact, I did a bit later in the evening.). But i also experienced a sense of peace and relief. I had said it. The hardest part was over.

I started out that evening confused anxious, scared. I ended it relieved and calm. I was still confused (and in a way, I still am) but I was no longer confused about who I was. Or rather, what I was not. It was such a weight off my mind.

Now i am trying to come to terms with what I know as the truth about who I am , and experience all of these new emotions and sensations that I had so long denied myself.

9. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, in my experience, there was a sense of helplessness, when I hit send and waited for a response, and when I received acceptance I was shaking with relief.

10. CharacterStudy

Thank you everyone, for sharing your feelings at that moment. There's some poignant phrases there and it's really helpful.

I am just me my goodness, that is exactly it, and so beautifully expressed. Maybe you should be the writer!

11. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt like I wanted to vomit. When ever I am extremely nervous, I don't get nauseous, I just feeling like vomiting.

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like standing on the edge of a cliff about to jump off

13. beewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my parents via letter. Very anxious while writing it and I spent hours looking at the sealed envelopes, chain-smoking and trying to build up the nerve to mail them. But when I finally got the nerve and went and put them in the mailbox, it was the best feeling ever. Slept like a baby that night. The next day I immediately woke up and went "what have i done! why did i do that!" and the anxiety and chain-smoking came back until my parents called to say they already knew and we're fine with it. talking to my dad openly about my girlfriend who he already knew as my "friend" was one of the most freeing experiences in my life.

i later came out to my brother in person. i didn't want to but he was asking questions about my girlfriend, who he knew as my friend and liked hanging out with, so i felt backed into a corner and that it was time. i full on disassociated i was so scared. whole body went numb. i could hear myself talking but felt i wasn't in control. like i was really high or drunk and trying so hard to get the words out. and i knew i had to do it and that it would be over soon. i was driving him home at the time and almost had to pull over because i was panicking. but then he was like "Okay cool" and it was over.

i plan to come out to my other brother tomorrow and i hope it goes better lol. slowly coming out to people one at a time over 5 months has been excruciating. i should have just sent out a mass email

14. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shakey, shy, with prominent feelings of "how the hell do I say this?"

Speaking of which... how do I tell a mildly biphobic, slightly homophobic sort-of Christian Dad I'm Bisexual?

15. CharacterStudy

*Silverhalo* yes, the edge of a cliff feeling, exactly. I know that and have used it. Wondered if it feels like that because as an ex-climber I spent a lot of time on the edge of cliffs. *beewulf* good point, so coming out whilst driving not a good idea!

*We dream of peace* could be worse, he could be entirely bi-phobic, homophobic and Christian! I don't know, I tend to advise people to go down the 'watch a sympathetic film portrayal' route (Pride, Imitation Game) and then lead the conversation that way. Unless he sets fire to the TV in horror, in which case you might want to rethink your approach.

If it helps, my own husband was mildly homo/bi-phobic (and Christian), until he realised quite a few of his and my friends were gay/bi. He would always be polite, but felt it was somehow wrong. Now he's so ashamed of his past beliefs - he just needed some exposure. Hopefully your dad will be similar.

May I ask, how old are you? I notice you're in the UK and bi/demi/pan. I've been having an argument with one of my reviewers, who is gay (and, as it turns out, bi-phobic - when I asked for LGBT friendly reviewers, I kind of hoped people would cover all the letters, sigh). Anyway he reckons no 30+ year old guy - who knows he is bi but tries to ignore attraction to men -in a modern day UK university city would still be closeted. I know for a fact that he is wrong, but don't know how unusual it is. My main character has gay friends and is fine with all that, but has decided he's got an option so is going to pursue the 'easier' route (women). In reality he's got baggage from growing up in a conservative rural village, parental expectations and some internalised homophobia. How realistic does him being closeted sound to you?

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions, thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I felt so cheeky asking and you've all been lovely.

16. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the intensity of the feelings depends to some degree on who you are Coming Out to. If you are Coming Out to someone who is really important to you, such as a close friend or family member (especially parents), the intensity level is usually at it's highest because, even if you are pretty certain that they will accept you, just the small chance that you could lose their friendship, unconditional love, support, etc is a terrifying prospect. In that moment when you Come Out, you feel totally vulnerable because you are sharing very personal and private information about yourself and you feel like you are awaiting the 'judgment' of the person you are Coming Out to (acceptance or rejection). The time between Coming Out and getting the person's initial reaction - even if it is only mere seconds - can feel like an eternity.