1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with crushing depression?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kizz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had various small cases of being depressed about several things over the last 2 months. mostly, it went away.

well, I was at the cinema, and I was feeling happy, just watching a movie with my family.

then, all of a sudden, I just got this sudden crushing depression, like everything was hitting me at once. me being gay, school, college, university, every single thing that's stressing me just combined and hit me.
    my thoughts have all been random and scrambled for a long time now.

I lost my appetite completely, and I had to force down dinner.
    I just don't know how to make it all just calm down X(

any advice to get rid of it?

#1 Kizz, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you may have slipped into what you might call clinical depression. Your symptoms sound a bit like mine. Slowly dipping in, coming out, dipping in...and then finally dropping in pretty deep. And once you're in, it ain't easy gettin' out. But do know you will. You can try riding it out, but since you're not sure how long these things can last, it's best if you get a bit more proactive about it.

Best first step - a trip to the doctor. It's best to rule out any obvious physical cause right away. Do let your doctor know precisely what you're thinking, and how it's affecting you. If it truly is clinical depression, you'll probably need to figure out if it's best to attack this as a physical problem (with medication), a psychological problem (with counseling) or both. Your doctor will probably be able to guide you through that decision.

Until that time, keep focused. You may have to run on faith for awhile, even if life seems worthless, or all the questions of "What will I do? What about the rest of my life?" keep piling up in your brain. Force yourself to go to school, to interact with people, and keep living your life.

Also, I found it helpful to shake things up a bit. Go to school by a different route. Eat something different for lunch. If you like to read sci-fi, read a mystery, instead. Watch a TV show or movie you normally wouldn't. If you usually listen to pop, try classical or jazz or metal.

Let me suggest something that some people think is weird - admit the problem. Not just to yourself but others. When I slipped into depression last year, I let everybody know. My partner, my parents, my friends, my co-workers. And why not? They're a resource. They're there to listen when you need to talk, distract you when you need distracting, and be a friend when you need a friend. And you probably need a friend more now than ever. You don't have to go into detail as to what exactly you're thinking. But you can let them know that you're having a lot of negative thoughts, and it's tough to think of other things, and it's affecting everything down to your appetite.

Depression can be tough, but you CAN get on top of it. Let us know if you need more help. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    unfortunately, I can't do the doctor thing, but I'll try to do the rest. thanks!

4. tallship

Hey Seanr why can't you see a doctor? are you afraid of your parents knowing that you have a problem. Believe me if you are clinical then you will need meds to cope , I have been a deppresive since my teens and did the stiff upper lip thing untill i finally cracked up 3 yrs ago , i should have insisted with my doctor but he was not interested a new doctor took me seriously . especially in your teens deppression is a nightmare because of all the other things a teen goes through so do get help , we are all here to talk /rant to if you need us .
    just remember mate your not alone :thumbsup:

5. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's mainly due to stress from final exams.
    mainly art.
    I'm doing frameworks in the style of hundertwasser and my current theme (computer games) isn't good
    X((
    aside from that, nothing much, but art is KILLING me X((((((
    I just can't think of what to do......

#5 Kizz, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  6. Mana

I know how you feel... Sorry, I cant give you any advice on getting out of it because I haven't managed that, but my mum got out of PND all by herself, and having a hobby (she took up making jewelry) helped her take her mind off it and get over it...

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>unfortunately, I can't do the doctor thing, but I'll try to do the rest.

It's truly not much of an "optional" thing. If it IS clinical depression, without a doctor visit, all you'll be able to do is work on some "coping skills" until it runs its course. Which could be days, weeks, or months. And having done that once before, trust me, you do NOT want to go that route.

Why is it you can't see a doctor?

Lex

8. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    we don't really have a doctor we could see :/
    and I especially am got going to explain my out status as 2nd worst.

9. tallship

are you not registered with a gp, then perhaps a local group could advise you.
    http://www.outofthecan.org/
    re the stress of exams sorry i cant help i cant even do stick men so art is not me:grin:
    take care rant away as much as want .:thumbsup:

10. tallship

try looking in the advice and support sticky section

11. Jim1454

Hey there. The good news here, in my opinion, is that you actually recognize that you're depressed. Having an awareness is good, even if you still feel crappy.

Know that it isn't permanent, that some of the stuff going through your head is just that - in your head. Life isn't as bad as it appears right now, and that it will get better in time.

I know it's hard, but your doctor should know that you're struggling with depression, and a big part of that 'might' be related to your orientation. I know you're worried about art at the moment, but perhaps that would be a manageable problem if you weren't worried about other things too - like being gay. I'd really encourage you to tell your doctor.

It might help to get this off your chest.

You can always PM me if you want to chat.

12. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    luckily for now, it's stopped. that was the longest time I've had though, I only began to feel better halfway through school, thanks to my funny and goth-looking friend :lol:
    I told him about it (not the gay part), and he just made a huge drama joke of it, then kept me laughing all day :lol:
    I can only hope that it lasts for a long time :icon_bigg
    I think it was mainly due to school and not able to talk to friends. unfortunately, I can't get one without the other :/
    still, thanks for all your support :slight_smile:

13. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

have an ounce of dark chocolate a day, it helps a little.