1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Twin Brother Soon.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Apr 19, 2009.

1. EM68

I came out to my parents and sister about 2 months ago and now I want to tell my twin brother. Its going to be the hardest coming out for me. It seems like every time I see him he makes homophobic remarks. He says stuff not really in a malicious way but more of a joking way. I think he thinks its funny but it really bothers me. Its getting to the point where I feel very uncomfortable around him. I know that everyone is going to say that once I come out to him the remarks will stop. When I come out to him should I tell him that one of the reasons why its been so hard for me to tell him is because of the remarks he has said in the past?

Like I said I want to tell him. Once I do I really don't care who knows or not. Also I think he should know since my parents and sister knows and I do not want to hold this from him anymore. Any thoughts?

#1 EM68, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it's time. :slight_smile: I think you can tell him it's been difficult telling him, but you probably don't need to tell him why it's been difficult. I can guarantee once you tell him, he'll think of all those things he's said. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, he'll probably want to know why he was the last in the family to know and you are going to have to tell him. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I agree with Lex and Becky. I don't think you need to tell him about why you haven't come out to him earlier. If he asks you why you haven't said anything earlier, just be honest and give your reasons then. Going by the reactions that you have received from your family so far, I think it will go well. It sounds like that you are ready to come out to him. I think it's just a matter of finding a good opportunity, which you can also create.

Hope this helps!

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does it annoy anyone else? What is the nature of the insults? Is it actually making fun of gays, or just more of a "That's gay"?

If you do tell him, I wouldn't offer that as a reason why you didn't tell him. No idea how he'll take it, but he may be hurt that you didn't tell him. And as Lex points out, he'll undoubtedly think about what he says.

6. EM68

He tends to make fun of gays . I will let you all know what happens when and if I tell him.

7. Eleanor Rigby

8. Just Adam

i say next time its jsut you two and he makes a gay joke give him a punch in the arm in a brotherly way and say hey man i find that offensive .. hell be confused then as he raelises you say yes im gay ( i would prob of laughed at the dumb recognition) lol and then its been hard to tell cos of the remarks or whatever the thing is you brothers you should be close

maybe try the if he says thats so gay just say nah im gayer or summat quick sweet simple

i want it too work for you Ed you deserve it too work and hes your brother he should love you and accept you no matter what :slight_smile:

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Good luck, Becky has the right advice once again.I am planning on telling on own brother within a few weeks myself.

10. EM68

I don't know today I am so pissed off at him for making stupid homophobic remarks. As of right now I may never tell him. I am so hurt right now.

11. Just Adam

its ok Ed you can vent anytime here its a hard thing ya doing were here for ya

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let his remarks get you down or get to you. Try to stay focused on why you want to come out to him. Have you asked him to stop making these remarks?

13. EM68

No I have not asked him to stop saying these things. I am too much of a stupid chicken.

#13 EM68, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not a stupid chicken! Even though he says

it is hurting you, and you shouldn't have to go through this every time you see him. Jokingly or not, it doesn't matter. Ask him to give it a rest! You are the best person to educate him. Ed, you can turn the tables here.

You have come this far. You have changed different aspects of your life for the better. Don't let his remarks get to you and overshadow all of what you have accomplished. It is not worth it.

15. EM68

I know but i just hate this. I feel horrible right now. I just need to step away from this and from him for a while and concentrate on other things in my life.

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off: (*hug*)

I think it's good to 'take a break from it.' Try not to think too much about it. Things have a way working out.

17. EM68

Thanks I do feel a little better. A lot of this is just me being in a stupid mood. I just need to not even think about him right now. When I see him again I will decide if I will come out to him at all.

18. Jim1454

You have two options...

1) Don't speak to him again, and never let on why. Continue to hear his homophobic jokes at family functions and remain forever uncomfortable around him.

2) Come out to him, and maybe he'll never speak to you agian. Perhaps STILL remain forever uncomfortable around him at family functions. BUT you will have told him the truth about you, and it leaves him with the knowledge that his own twin is one of those 'gays' that he makes jokes about. The ball will be in HIS court. And you can have some peace of mind.

I'd go with number 2. Odds are that you'll have educated him and reduced the ignorance of yet another homophobe. You'd be doing us ALL a favour!

Maybe just sending him an email would be the best way. My initial reaction to your first post was the same as Lex and Becky - don't bother telling him why you're coming out to him. But if this is something he does EVERY TIME you see him, then he needs to be told that it's not acceptable, and that he's likely offending not just you, but countless others around him with these remarks.

19. Mickey

Hi Ed,
    Sweetie,you've come such a long way is a short time. Remember how you felt,first with your sister and then with your parents? And you came out to them,anyway and you feel so much better,now.
    Your brother is the last you need to tell. I'm not saying to do it,today. But,like I said you've come too far to let this get you down.
    You CAN do this. What ever way you feel most comfortable,a letter,e-mail or face to face,I know you'll be okay.
    I think once he knows how the rest of the family accepted you,he'll more apt to,also.
    Tell him why you waited to tell him,if you want to. He's your brother,so you certainly know him better then we do.
    Remember,we're all here for you. And ,I,most of all,wish you the courage you need to tell your brother. Take your time,as you did with the others. I know you'll be okay.
    :::hugs:::. Mickey*

20. EM68

Thank you everyone. This morning I felt real low and hurt. I am feeling better now. I AM going to tell my brother at some point. I hope real soon. I just want to get it over with. Once I do no matter what his reaction is I feel I will be able to live my life to the fullest and won't really care who else knows. A number of my statements earlier were just venting. I did not sleep that well last night, which did not help. I had a great afternoon yesterday with my family but one comment by my brother put me in a fowl mood and I resent it. Once again thanks. Love you all! (&&&)