1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by natalie1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. natalie1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi so I'm bi and I'm only out to one person. It took me a while but I'm finally 100% positive that I'm bi and I'm not upset about it anymore. Although I'm still not honest with all of my friends. So I want to come out to them because I hate keeping this secret but it seems very random and awkward and I don't think I would ever find the right time. Also I don't have a girlfriend so there's no particular reason for me to come out. I know most of my friends will be pretty supportive I'm just afraid of the awkwardness of it and although there will definitely be things said behind my back I'm not afraid of being bullied or anything. I feel like many of the situations I've heard with people coming out is because they were dating someone but if I came out now it would be completely random.

2. CatsAreCool

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really think about it that way when I came out to my friends. I am in college, and I came out to all my friends a few at a time even though I didn't have a girlfriend or any other S.O. at the time. They were all very supportive and now I feel much better at school knowing I don't ever have to hide anything from them. Yes it's a little bit difficult to figure out the "right time" to tell your friends without it seeming like it's coming out of nowhere, but I've found that the best way to bring it up is to ask them about themselves. Are they interested in anyone new? How is their relationship going (if they are in one)? And they comes "oh, by the way, I'm not sure if you knew this already but I'm (insert identity here)" Or you don't have to say that, but you could just casually mention someone you're interested in that is a woman. That's how I told 3 of my friends.

For about 6 months (the end of the previous school year, summer, and up to the beginning of this school year) the only friends I was out to were my roommate and her boyfriend (a close friend of mine), but after awhile, I was feeling much like you are right now. I can honestly tell you that it is way way better for me now. Remember, who you tell and how you tell them is up to you! It could be awkward depending on how you choose to do it, but then again it could be just fine and no big deal. Sometimes I like to come out to acquaintances in spur of the moment jokes (usually when someone says something like "be straight with me" or "straightforward" then I will say, "wait but I can't because I'm not straight!" :lol: Best of luck to you!

3. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just do ot when you feel ready and when you really want other people to know about you. There is no "perfect time" to come out. You can basically do it whenever you want.