1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Harleyquinnade, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Harleyquinnade

Hi! I'm almost 18 years old, go to Catholic church on the weekly (and like it, mostly) but haven't told anyone in my family nor friend circle that I in fact fancy girls instead of boys. It took a lot for me to realize that myself and I've been comfortable as calling myself a lesbian since age 15 or so.

The thing is, all my friends online came out and their parents didn't actually murder them, so it's got me itching to stop hiding such a big part of myself from my conservative, religious family.

My mom has told me, once, that she didn't know if I was gay and just cared that whoever I married loved me. But then whenever she sees anything lgbt on TV she gets annoyed. Her best friend is a guy that happens to like guys and she absolutely loves him.

My dad, he doesn't talk much, more of a comedy man. I don't know how he'd take it. My sister is very homophobic. Like, disgustingly so.

My plan is to tell them I'm gay on April fools, so if they freak out i can take it back and not get kicked out or worst. They often ask me, in a very judging tone, especially if I too many posters if girls in my room, if I like girls.

Do you think I should?

2. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First you have to think of if it is safe or not. Your mom seems pretty accepting but I've heard many stories of parents with friends in the LGBT community who freak when they find out their kid is gay (weird right). They don't have a problem with gay people until it's their family for some reason. Your dad would probably be fine as well from what you've said about him. Your sister is a different story but unless you two are really close it probably won't be too much of an issue if she has a problem with it. You also said that you are almost 18. Plans for uni or anything? If so perhaps it would be better to become independent financially/move out so you don't get "kicked out or worse".

Overall I think it's your call, if you feel confident that your parents reaction will be positive and are prepared if it isn't so positive I say go for it.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your parents will be ok with you coming out.

Only you can answer whether you should come out. Do you have anyone you can turn to if things don't go well?