1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I bi or lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HerRainbow, Mar 30, 2017.

1. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry if this is too goes on too long but I have no idea what is relevant. I started to have feelings for women around 17. At that time I had a big group of friends and I was quite happy. My best friend and I were really close, we were in the same classes together, spent all our break times together and always had fun. But then things changed when I started reading into everything that was normal before like when she would hug me or if she was looking at me it felt like it was just us in the room even though we were surrounded by a lot of people. We were so close all the time she actually said wouldn't it be weird if people thought we were lesbians. But I really had a big crush on her and I thought it would've been a good thing if we could've taken things further.
    After that I've had fleeting periods where I've liked guys but it was never as intense as the feeling I get when I like women. I have even had times where I've openly flirted with women and I wanted to take things further. Now I would say that I like women about 80% and I like men about 20%. I would feel more comfortable being in a relationship with a women too.
    But the question is am I bisexual or lesbian? And how do I know because I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been in a relationship?

Any answers would be really appreciated!

2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha, thought you sounded familiar. Just answered another post of yours. I'll keep this one short. Nobody knows what happens next, so saying what you are is tricky. Better to use adjectives or verbs. "I mostly like girls." "I'm hoping for a girlfriend." "I'd prefer a wife." Or something like that.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible you could be bisexual with a female preference? Of course, if you don't want to date or sleep with men at ALL, then you'd definitely be a lesbian.

4. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I would probably say that I am bisexual with a female preference. The only thing that makes me question myself is my family because I know they see men in my future whereas I see women more often in my future.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 11:31 PM ----------

Haha thank you for your reply! I actually spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to come out to my mum and those phrases were more or less how I wanted to say it. But I ended up just saying I like girls and that's it. Do you think it would be better to tell her exactly what I wanted to say and if so how long should I wait to tell her?

5. Aleka

Your story sounds sort of like mine. I've grown up pleasing everyone and part of that was being the straight girl who got with a good boy and got good grades, etc. I just went through the motions. I never gave it much thought but then I met this girl who has me thinking of her 24/7. Now I wonder if I've always been a lesbian or if I like guys too. And I really want to give it a shot with this girl ... But I'm terrified of telling her or anyone else. I wonder how we'll figure it out?

6. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I'd definitely agree Aleka that we have similar stories. It's really good that you've met someone and I think it would be a good time to try to work out how you feel. From my experience, the best way to go about that would be to try to give yourself as much time as you need to work out your feelings and not put too much pressure on yourself. As for telling other people, again you can only do that when you feel your ready. Although it can be terrifying, it can also be a relief once you come out to others.

7. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sounds to me like a Kinsey scale 4.