1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends with Benefiets

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lacri, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Lacri

Lacri Guest

So my boyfriend broke up with me on wednesday but said we could still be friends with benefiets. I stupidly said yes, because I didnt want to loose him. Does this mean that he is trying to use me for my body? I dont want to be ultra-sensitive, but it seems like he is using me.... What is everyone's take on the whole concept of friends with benefiets? I know a lot of people that do it with others, and than end up depressed and with low self-esteem. I just don't want that to be me!

2. -Michael-

It depends.

He is taking advantage if you regret it.

But if you just want the odd shag with him it's all good.

I think friends with benefits is okay...
    so long as it's exactly that.

3. Mickey

You have to ask yourself some questions.
    Why did he break up with you?
    Will YOU feel used,with things this way?
    Is it worth the pain you may go through,because you still care about him?
    If you're not good enough to have a relationship with,why are you good enough to have sex with?
    I don't know your situation with him,but I hope your decision is based on what YOU want,not just what HE wants.
    All the best. Mickey*

4. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    michael said it... other than that... friends with benefits works both ways... you can make booty calls on him and still go to the circus with friends with him, you just don't hold hands/kiss :wink:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, ask yourself - what's the difference between what you were before, and what you are now?

Lex

6. AtticusFinch

Just don't let it get in the way of future relationships.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would you get out of it? From the sound of it, he's going to come back to you when he wants sex, and leave once he's satisfied.

8. Eleanor Rigby

In my personal opinion, beign "friends with benefits" can only work if the persons involved are clearly on the same page. And I'm pretty sure your ex and you are not.
    It's not my place to judge him in anyway, but I don't think you should have that kind of relationship with him. You seem to still have love feelings for him, and I'm afraid you can only be hurt beign involved in this. If you want to remain friend with him that's fine, it would be fine to take time for yourself too before seign him again, but I don't think having sex with him would be a good idea. Even if he himself is clear about what he wants, you may not be able to move on from your previous relationship, and worse you may end feeling betrayed and used, even if it is not what he is intending to do.
    Take care, Eleanor

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been in a similar scenario myself, but I've seen it happen. In the end, it ended up with one party finding someone else to love, and the other discovering all too late that the sex wasn't entirely emotion-free after all.
    In short, lots of emotional hurt.

I would be very weary to jump into such an arrangement just after ending a relationship with the same person. Are you sure that you won't be still hoping to get him to be your boyfriend again? And won't you be extra hurt if that doesn't happen?

10. J Schuelke

My opinion on friends with benefits is this. when you are generally close to someone and then start to do stuff with that someone, I may want you leaving more, like a relationship or whatever the case may be. Wanting to be in a relationship when the other person no longer wishes for it is not always good. I don't want to be rude, but I think you are setting yourself up for more heartbreaks down the road if you keep this up.

Granted, I've never been in a relationship before, however I have seen a lot of relationships go sour when they start fooling around with each other (a few of my friends if your wondering). I don't know if that's what you wanted to hear, but it's up to you what comes of it.

Hope it all works out for you in the end, good luck:thumbsup:

11. Parker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been in something similar to this before. It was great until I became emotionally attached and began to like him and then he rejected me and got a boyfriend.

I wouldn't recommend it just because, it's tough if you achieve that level of emotion for him.

12. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do not do it, there is nothing wrong with being single at all. Everyone is single at times, its a natural part of life. He is using you. He doesn't want to date you but he still wants to sleep with you, he's A) using you and B) showing no regard for your feelings. If he broke up with you you probably still care about him so doing this would only end up hurting you. Odds are you'll keep wanting more, which he doesn't want. The odds of this ending well for you at all are slim. Very very slim

13. someguy82

In my experience "friends with benefits" can be risky if both people aren't in the right mindset, and I wouldn't really recommend it (especially with someone you have feelings about beyond friendship).

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is a good way to get your heart broken. Don't do it!

15. In this case, I would say that it could be emotionally hurtful to you. if he truely has No interest in dating you or trying to make things work, it more than likely is what you think it is. Is he worth risking getting hurt again for? or can it be just friends that fool around; no strings attached?

16. Coldflame

If you THINK he is just trying to use you, then that's what will cause any changes in your self-esteem, regardless of whether he is or not. I'm with Eleanor on this one. If you aren't on the same page, it's going to turn out badly. From the sounds of it, if you think he's just trying to use you, then you are not on the same page. My opinion is it is not a good idea.