1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans to religious transphobic parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PokemonGuy12345, Mar 31, 2017.

1. PokemonGuy12345

Hi all, I'm a bit new to this website but the reason I joined is because I need advice about things like this. So a couple years ago I realized I'm transgender, and I began changing how I look and dress and such. I'm pre-everything basically, but I pass 99% of the time as male (although people always think I'm 12 lol).

My mother has taken notice and although I haven't come out to her and deny it every time she brings it up, she always yells how I should be "proud of the way God made me" and that I'm "going down a dark path", all this stuff. She says she lays awake at night in fear of "what I'm becoming" (that is, transgender). She constantly tries to force me into dressing and acting like a woman by yelling at me, saying I'm freaking people out- my parents have very old fashioned views on transgender people. They view them as frankenstein people almost, crazy people who mutilate themselves and are just disturbed perverts. The absolute most negative harmful view of transgender people you can imagine, that's completely what they believe.

Point is, I'm moving out this year to go to college, and I plan to see a therapist and begin HRT, ASAP. The college I'll probably go to is 20 minutes away from where my parents live (I'm planning on transferring after this semester to somewhere further away but this college has better accommodations for trans people which is important to me right now) and I, at some point, will have to come out to them. The changes testosterone bring are quick and noticeable. I obsess over what they'll do, I become sick at my stomach, and the thought of losing my parents over this makes me cry all the time, because I don't want to lose my family. They will throw fits. Have a meltdown. Try to corner me and shout at me about it any chance they get. I know my mom will cry and cry and cry because when she sees me, she will simply see the man who killed and took the place of her daughter (a bit dramatic, but this is genuinely how they view the situation). This has been plaguing me for a long time now. The only member of my family I think'd be ok with it is my older sister, who moved out a long while ago. She is not religious, liberal on social issues, I know she's at least pro-gay, I assume she's pro-trans as well.

But I'm just wondering what the best way to handle this is? How should I come out to them? How do I deal with the meltdowns, and the confrontations, and seeing them for holidays? It scares me to my core...perhaps I shouldn't be so scared, but I am. Advice is much appreciated, especially from those with similar situations...beginning my independent life without the help of my parents scares me so much...and I do love them. The thought of losing them makes me distressed more than anything.

TL;DR: Currently closeted because of fundamentalist Christian parents. They are aggressively and loudly transphobic, moving out and (hopefully) starting HRT this year, wondering how to come out, and how to deal with inevitable meltdown and fits they will throw. Don't want to lose them forever. Have one (probably) supportive sister who moved out a while ago. Thanks.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very difficult and I need to ask to what extent you will rely on your parents for stability and security while you are at college? If they cut you off completely, will you be able to cope, not just financially, but emotionally too? You may not want to hear this, but if your stability and security will be compromised, you might be better to delay transitioning. I know that will be super hard if you are struggling with dysphoria and all of the emotional crap that goes with it, but you could be jumping from the pan into the fire if you have no back up plan.

How close are you to your sister? It sounds like she has very different values to your parents and if you can be certain that she will support you and give you and alternative place to stay, you might be alright, but you do need certainty about this. If not, you do need another, solid plan B.

If/when you decide to come out to your parents (which could be in writing) make sure you provide them with sources of advice, information and support and if you can find something that addresses the conflict between their faith and your gender that will great. It will be their choice to take it all up, but you need to satisfy yourself that you have done your best to help them to understand. Books, leaflets, websites, support groups like PFLAG are all relevant and over time it may help to bridge the divide, but it's unlikely to be a quick, easy or painless process and you should prepare yourself for that.

The important consideration for you now is timing, planning and preparedness. Think about everything very carefully and don't act in haste.

I'm sorry if my response doesn't provide a whole lot of hope or quick solutions, but do remember we are here for you... no matter what happens.

3. PokemonGuy12345

Thank you so much for replying. Well, I have scholarships that cover nearly all of my college expenses (it's a pretty cheap college). I plan on getting a job as soon as I can to start saving up money. I already have a few hundred dollars saved up. I plan on selling a whole ton of the things I own to raise money. Emotionally, I think I'll be okay...the main biggest thing I'm scared of that will without a doubt happen, is the meltdown...god knows what they'll say to me, how loud their voices will get...I've experienced meltdowns before and it takes time to recover from them but I'll live. We've just never been through anything that'll shake em up this bad. When I think of how much it'll hurt them, it makes me ache. They'll probably try to call me or get me to come see them in person but I'd like to just avoid that until they've cooled down a bit.

Yes, I am 99% sure if anything happened, my older sister would let me stay with her. She's told me that no matter how I wanna look, or express myself, that she'll support me (I haven't come out but it's a bit obvious I suppose? Heh). We've even discussed living together in different places in the country together, we've always been close. If I was homeless on the streets I honestly couldn't see her leaving me like that in a million years. In fact, she, herself, has been in nearly my exact position. When she was in college she became an atheist, and my parents threw giant fits, made the absolute biggest deal out of it. After college she never came home and stayed with other relatives 'till she could get her own place. Now she's doing ok.

But they never cut her off financially during college. And I don't think they'll cut me off. It's a possibility, and I've thought about that and what I'd do in that situation (probably go stay with my sister or this one close friend of mine who'd let me stay with him and get a job), but they know that I'd end up in a very bad situation, and they certainly don't want that for me. They still want me to have an education and stuff.

As for the coming out process, I more than likely will end up just mailing a letter or something. I didn't really think about trying to appeal to their faith. They're really staunch in what they think, but it could definitely help. Perhaps in the future once the dust has settled a bit, maybe invite them to come with me to an LGBT-friendly church, maybe have them talk with the preacher about their views (I'm not religious, but anything to make them feel better about this). Adding resources and info is a great idea as well.

Thanks again for helping me out (Also, sorry for writing so much to read through. I'm a bit of a chatterbox, I guess).

4. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in a situation like this myself. My family isn't religious but still somewhat conservative. I have a big extended family and we are all pretty close so there will be a lot of opinions. Right now i'm in no place to come out and especially transition because i'm very dependant on my mother financially.

Having a back up plan or two is essential. I'm always thinking of ways to have something to fall back on in case my gender comes up. I pass as male often, dress like a man and i'm not exactly hiding it. Where i live transgender people aren't really talked about so even if anyone has doubts it's not discussed. Even if my mom is fine with it there are still a lot of other people that i am in really close contact with. I know for a fact that my cousin whom i'm really close with, i practically live in her house, is strongly opposed to trans people and i would be devastated if i couldn't see her or her family again.

I understand that family is important but you are important too and so is your hapiness and well-being. I know that i will have to come out one day and maybe lose a huge part of my life but not getting to be who i really am and doing what makes me happy is going to be a lot worse in the long run.

I hope everything goes well in your life and it's not too hard on you.