1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I write a letter when coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lacie1, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Lacie1

Hi everyone. At the end of April I am going to come out as gender fluid to my Dad and Step mom. I'm not the best with words and I'm sure I'll be a bundle of nerves on top of that. I was thinking of writing a letter and then just reading it to them. With gender fluid there is just so much more to explain than if I was just coming out gay. What do you guys think about the letter?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Lacie1,

You can Come Out in any manner that works for you. I agree that telling your Dad and Stepmom that you are gender fluid will require more explanation than just Coming Out as gay. They are likely to have a lot of questions. Writing a letter that tries to explain things as best as you can might help at least cut down on the questions. Also, if you can find and print some literature for them (or direct them to appropriate websites if they are tech savvy), that might help answer even more of their initial concerns/confusion so that when you talk to them about it in person they probably will have fewer questions and be better informed.

Just a thought.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the letter is a really good idea, especially if you're not exceptional when it comes to words and/or explaining your feelings. Don't forget that you can (and in my opinion, should) leave it open to questions so they can better understand you. Give them resources to help them understand. Best of luck!

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a bad idea, especially for coming out as gender fluid. Heck, I'm still getting my head around non-binary genders... lol. Good luck anyway. Chances are it'll go better than you expect :slight_smile:

5. Lacie1

You guys are awesome. Letter it is then. Thanks again y'all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lace