1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I include my sexuality on my room mate application?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kibou97, Mar 31, 2017.

1. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess this is the right area to put this question at. A little backstory on what I mean by a room mate application: My university has each student fill out a yearly application to help us either find a room mate or establish that we want to remain with the same one (for reasons not relating to my orientation, the latter will not be an option for me). This application works in a similar way to how dating sites work. You fill out a questionnaire including some fundamental stuff about yourself to help the system match you up with somebody and you also get to write a little bio about yourself that the students you're matched with can see. In this bio, would it be a good idea to include the fact that I'm gay. I kind of want to do this just to get the obstacle out of the way and not worry about it being an issue later but I'm not entirely sure whether it would be a good idea to do that.

2. Najlen

If you are worried about your future roommate not accepting you it might be a good idea. I don't really think it would be an issue to do it, but it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

3. Naos210

Assuming the dorms can't be co-ed, it might be okay to mention it. The roommate (male) may be concerned. I don't see a problem with mentioning it or not, unless you're going to be bringing partners to the dorm to have sex or anything.