1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure how to tell them...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Iarilo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Iarilo

About three years ago, I went to an LGBT club at a friend's school for fun and support. A year later, I found out about female to male trans and my mind just clicked. I was super happy to have finally figured out that yes, my genuine "I wish I was a guy"s wasn't just silliness. Then I got really confused, because it's a complete shock, finding out that what you thought was physically impossible is, in truth, possible. I was painfully aware of the social implications, too.
    When I was completely certain about it all, I came out to my friend and was so happy to have their full support and acceptance. The same happened when I told my other friend.
    I'm very lucky to have their support, but they're the only people who know. I want to tell my family and other people, but I just don't know what to say or when. My parents have told me that they would love and support me no matter my sexual orientation, but I'm not entirely sure how they would react if I told them that I'm trans. My worry is not their lack of acceptance (I know that they would still love me anyway), my issue is that I fear they will tell me "You're being silly", or "It's just a phase". I've compiled a lot of research and, two years ago, I did tell myself to wait and research to make sure that I knew for certain I was trans. I have very little doubt now, but I'm still sitting in my little closet waiting to tell them the truth. Is there anyone who has been through something similar? I'm open to stories and advice.
    :help:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the first thing to say is that I am not trans, so other members who have lived through the whole process may be able to advise much better, but from reading your post it sounds like you have really thought about this and wish to come out with a view to transitioning.

Have you thought about writing it all down for your parents? Explain how and why you have arrived at this point so they don't think it's silly or a phase. Tell them how it feels to be the wrong gender and to be identified as the wrong gender. Tell them about the research you have done and provide some reading resources for them, to help them understand - leaflets, internet links, book titles all count. If you sit down and really think about the letter you can say a lot without all of the fear and anxiety of being challenged and interrupted in the heat of the moment and you will be able to demonstrate how serious you are. It does make a difference when you can do that.

This website Mermaids UK - Supporting gender identity issues in children and young people is based in my own country (the UK) but it does have some links for parents in the resources area and you could make reference to them in a coming out letter.

What do you think?

3. Iarilo

That helps a lot!
    Thank you so much!