1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my soccer team?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fireflie, Apr 4, 2017.

1. fireflie

i play club soccer, and my team is basically my family. the thing is, we're all still in high school, and if something happens between us or my coach, it can make or break my potential career in soccer. since i'm close to them, i've been thinking about coming out to them for a while (im a lesbian), but i know a few of them have expressed concerns about lgbt women in the locker room especially, and i know one of them makes crude comments like 'itd be gross to have a bi or gay girl on our team, cause we've seen each other naked and its a contact sport'. but i know that the majority of them are supportive, and my coach is like a father to me, so do i come out to them?

2. Eyerene

My question is: do they really need to know your sexuality? If there really is a possibility that telling one of them could ruin your soccer career in the future, and they don't need to know, then I'd say it's not worth the risk. Wait until you get outside of high school, prove to your team that you're good at the game, and then come out. It's best not to take unnecessary risks, especially if it can put your chances of landing a job in danger.

However, I am known to be the cautious type of person. I personally wouldn't do it, but in the end, it's up to you.