1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pikachu1, Apr 21, 2009.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm way too scared to come out to my family. It's not that they won't accept me it's just that I'm a shy person and don't like confrontation. I think my sisters might know(as i said in a previous message) but I'm not positive and don't wanna jinx things. I was thinking that I could get one of my friends to help me. He said he would help me if I need help telling others. I thought maybe he could email my sisters or something explaining things to them. I know that it is best if I do this for obvious reason but I don't know if I could. I'm way too scared. Maybe I could write some kind of anonymous email/letter or something. What should I do?

2. Greggers

I would recommend writing them a letter or e-mail yourself. A personal one, addressed from you. Its perfect if you dont like confrontation. Just write out a few rough drafts first to get all your feelings down on paper and worded right. When your happy with it, press send! :slight_smile: After that your done and its just a waiting game.

I would try and refrain from having your friend tell your family, but having friends tell other friends can work out great if you trust the said friend :slight_smile:

3. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I did do a letter how should I do it? Should I write a letter and put it somewhere they could read it or read it to them(cause I really don't want all them staring at me with those judging eyes)? How about email?

4. Greggers

i personally typed out a letter and put it somewhere they were obviously going to find it.

5. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first time I came out I did it through an email. It was definitely nice not to have to do it face-to-face...though pressing send is hard and the waiting period is really stressful. Having said that, it works really well, cause you can really express how you feel without stress getting in the way of what you want to say.

6. Derek the Wolf

If you want to write a letter, I recommend you type it, print it out, and leave it somewhere they'll definitely find it. Keep it fairly straightforward, don't deviate from the topic too much, and don't be long-winded. Keep it brief. Don't get caught in difficult emotions and thoughts to forget the only words you really need: I'm Gay.
    You can talk to them more thoroughly about it after they've had time to grasp the idea, which may take a little time. Try to remain calm and relax as best you can. I know the day I left my dad a letter, the whole day of school DRAGGED on forever. (*hug*)

7. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was just discussing this with my friend who said he would help me. We are both wondering how exactly to do this. Should I send an email to them one at a time or to all at once cause only one of my sisters and my mom have an email my dad and other sister don't. Also if I did leave a letter how would i go about doing that? I live with my mom and we have to go babysit my nieces everyday after she gets off work so I dunno when she would read it. My younger sister stays with us but she only comes over when she's on her lunch break and I wouldn't want to upset her and then she'd have to go back to work and maybe pay for it.

8. CometCat

If you are anxious about coming out to your family it might be better doing it one at a time so its easier to cope with. You could email your mum and sister and then maybe write a letter for the others that dont have an email. You'll just need to leave the letter in a place that you know they would go to at some point in the day.

9. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I sent my younger sister an email explaining everything. Now I just have to wait for her to get back to me about it. I hope she supports me.

10. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My younger sister supports me in my decision:icon_bigg She said that she will help me tell the rest of our family. I just wonder how we're gonna tell my dad since he is the kinda guy that feels you have to be a manly-man and sleep with women.

11. riddlerno1

Congrats though on telling your sister cos that sounds like it took some guts! Hopefully your sister will now be able to help in telling the others in your family!