1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend hates lesbians and I don't know how to come out to her.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by olalola, Apr 7, 2017.

1. olalola

So here is the thing, I'm a lesbian and I'm really interested in this woman. I'm a late bloomer in terms of dating, thanks to anxiety, I've just been terrified. I'm also not actually out to anyone. But, back to this woman I like. It's got me wondering what if she becomes an important part of my life? I will have to come out, no question about it but until then I'm sort of in a limbo.

The main issue is my best friend. We have gay friends who are men and she loves them. She even has a gay cousin who she is really close with. She has been known to gush over our gay male friends partners, and one in particular she adores. However, you may know where this is going.....she just doesn't seem to like lesbians. She won't go to gay clubs because of lesbians and she has a lot of contempt towards lesbians. She has been to one once before (and it was practically empty anyway) with myself and her cousin and she was 'scared' of lesbians then, and now whenever our gay male friends invite her to go to the local gay bar she just flat out strongly refuses with some not so views about lesbians thrown in. This makes things incredibly awkward for me and I wonder how long I can continue this. I assume I will have to come out at some point, but when she asks me about partners she always uses the 'he' pronoun and I always play along, never correcting her. I feel terrible and guilty for lying but at the same time I just can't trust her enough to come out to her?

If you were in my situation, what would you do honestly? I don't want my best friend to hate me but at the same time, there will come a point where I will have to come out. I just don't know what to do about it. I know this might be a situation where it's a stalemate, but I really don't want it to be.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't even want to remain friends with such a hateful person, but that's just my opinion.

3. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best friend used to be pretty homophobic until our other best friend and I both came out to her and I think that made her realize that we are still ourselves whether she knows were gay or not. It made her realize that being gay doesn't change your personality. She is now very accepting of gay people.

4. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think you should try to weigh the pros and cons of coming out to her. Is there going to be a negative reaction? Can you handle it? The answers to these questions may help.

5. crazypanda

I suggest you come out to your gay friends and maybe they can help you work it out :slight_smile:

6. olalola

I recognise that my reasons for wanting to hold onto some sort of friendship with her is probably because I find it quite difficult to make friends.

Yes, this is what has got me wondering and going back and forth. Sometimes I think I may be able to change her mind by humanising lesbians and showing her that we're not the scary predators she thinks we are? At the same time, there's always the possibility that I won't.

It's just difficult. I've known her over a decade and our families are good friends too. I feel like it's not just my friendship with her at stake and by coming out, I'd potentially ruin a whole lot of other relationships as well.

This is a good idea. At this present moment, I'm not quite sure how I would handle a negative reaction.

Thanks. They will probably be the ones I actually come out to first. :slight_smile:

7. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever asked her why she seems to dislike lesbians so much? I've been in the situation where I tried to deny homosexuality so much as to be scared to let myself get into the position that I may be hit on by another woman and not be able to fight back attraction, so I would avoid that situation at all costs. I wonder if this could be the case for her?

8. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I would hesitate to come out to someone like that, especially when she feels so strongly about it. I know what it's like to want to share our lives, especially this very big chunk of ourselves, with people we are close to. But sometimes it's just not realistic... you wrote you're not sure if you would be able to deal a possible negative reaction and that you don't want to risk your friendship. I wouldn't go there with someone who could respond so negatively. You don't deserve this negativity and hatred in your life. Sometimes, as much as we like and feel close to some people, we can't share absolutely everything with them for various reasons. That's the way it is sometimes. I hope it will change in the future but for now... that's just the way it is.

9. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seem like a hard situation. I do have to wonder why she has this hate towards lesbains. Maybe she is in a more simular situation to yourself and is in denial?

Maybe leave little hints to her. Maybe for the time being lie hint that your bi. Ease her into the idea.

But as said someone with all this hate seems like someone who might not be worth ur while

10. FlowerOfLife

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey:slight_smile:

I see what the situation is...I wouldn't worry too much.
    Maybe she has had some bad experience with some girl in particular and that's why she dislikes lesbians?

If you're important to her she'll deal with it and will probably not mind.
    Just do it. I looks like your suffering while not telling her.
    If she gets mad or something you're better off without her.

Don't worry!! <3

11. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like this is likely the case.

12. an3

an3

hello, uhm your situation seems quite complicated. the first thing you maybe should do is coming out to your gay friends and also asking her why the hate to lesbians as some members say above. the thing is, there are these two options... maybe she's in a deep denial bcs she feels insecure or bcs she really seems lebs like a wrong thing? is kind of weird bcs if she likes male gays a lot as friends is contradictory to me. because clearly isn't a 'morality' case.
    I wish you the best of lucks... I'm still soo far away to even coming out as pan to my friends. *sighs*

13. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything I was going to suggest was already said by all of the other responses. Find out why she is 'afraid' of lesbians, maybe she has a skewed view. If she likes you as a friend maybe she just doesn't understand it. Good luck with your friend. I hope it works out for the both of you!