1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends might be homophobic

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kepler05, Apr 12, 2017.

1. kepler05

kepler05 Guest

I've been building up the courage for a long time to talk to my friends about questioning my sexuality. They have no idea this is going on. Last night we were talking at dinner and one of my friends started talking about how a girl on our track team is lesbian. She didn't seem to have a problem with this girl, but it sparked a series of conversations about lesbian/bi girls that she and my other friend know. They made comments about some of them "choosing" to be gay. One of the stories was about a girl who knowingly roomed with a lesbian her freshman year in college and is now transferring because it was so weird. Pretty much everything they said indicates that they're creeped out by lesbians and would be uncomfortable living with one, which is horrible because I'm supposed to live with them next year. I don't know what to do because I really wanted to be able to open up to them but now I'm afraid they won't be supportive or they would treat me differently.

I have a hard time accepting myself and have been dealing with suicidal thoughts. After hearing them say these things last night I felt like I didn't have any friends.

2. holtzysorry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, so sorry your friends sweetie and it is fine to be questioning what your sexual identity is. Maybe you could find other folks in both this online community and the LGBT community outreach near you and ask questions, talk to your friends about LGBT issues and feel them out in their response. If it is positive, then continue the discussion and mention you questioning their sexuality. If it is negative, then make new friends.

I hope this helps.