1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking someone to prom/coming out to everyone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theatre Techie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Theatre Techie

I think I'm a lesbian, but I'm not too comfortable with it yet and I often second guess myself. It's prom season at my school, and I have a lesbian friend I would like to ask to prom. We are good friends and she has helped me a lot with understanding my sexuality. The problem is, I'm in the closet and I'm not sure what my parents would think of my asking her to prom. They don't want me to come out to the world just yet. I'm also not sure if I'm ready to come out to the world (fearing that I may be wrong and may actually be straight), but I really want to ask her to prom. What are your thoughts? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much

2. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello!
    First of all, it's totally okay if you aren't sure of your sexuality. It's not something that you have to figure out now, you have your whole life ahead of you.
    From what your saying, your parents either have an idea, or know. Which is good in a sense, because you can have a conversation about your sexuality with them. I can't do that.
    I may be misinterpreting this, and if I am, I'm sorry. This is just what I'm understanding from what you've said.
    Just because you want to ask your friend to prom doesn't necessarily mean that you have to come out. Especially if you aren't sure of yourself. Your intentions are just asking her as a friend. It's not uncommon for people to go with their friends of the same gender. I did that last year, I went with my best friend Morgan. Had we been together, no one would've guessed. So, go ahead an ask her. Make it special if you want, I think everyone wants a great promposal.
    If anyone asks if you two are together, then say no, and leave it at that. They don't need to know how you stand on the sexuality spectrum.
    Whatever happens, it's a night to have fun and let everything on your chest, go. A night to forget any stressors in your life, and have a great time.
    I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to ask anymore questions!!!
    -DJ

3. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of off hello Theatre Techie,

Asking anypony to the prom (friend or otherwise) is a challenging task. I can remember from my prom I asked many boys (didn't really realize I was gay yet) and I got turned down by almost every one. It was frustrating, I wasn't "popular" or what have you. I stayed to myself most of the time in high school and a lot of middle school. Of course most everypony in my class were idiots (or rather I thought they were) and Prom is awkward, just being real.

But you should ask her as a friend as the above poster mentioned and not worry so much about people's opinions. I will put it simply.....

Mind Over Matter. You don't mind cause everypony's opinions don't matter.

Just ask her as a friend to the prom. What have you really got to loose. As far as we know we only live once. Ask her, go and have a good time. Enjoy yourself. And you don't have to be "out" until you're ready to be out. Hope you find this at least 20% helpful.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This girl that you are asking to prom - are you asking her as a friend, or as a date? Because if its just as a friend, then you don't really even need to come out. Just say you're going as friends.

You said you are not ready yet. Personally, do not come out until you are ready and totally sure of yourself. Hell i was on the It Gets Better site earlier watching videos, and apparently Adam Lambert wasn't even out to the world until after highschool, himself.