1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to tell people but I don't know for sure myself...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Marbabar, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Marbabar

I not afraid of coming out in general. If I'm trans, i don't care who cares! I came out as gay 17 years ago in small town Utah, I've been through it, I'm surrounded by loving supportive people. But I am afraid of coming out trans, and then a few years later having to un-come-out like "naw never mind, I'm actually [other modern label] blah blah blah" and my poor kiddo is only 4 years old and she already has to cope with being the only kid at school with two daddies... My poor husband doesn't want to be married to a woman anyway (and might actually be a bit transphobic) so my whole family life crucially hinges on getting it right.

I've always, always, since my earliest memories, wished I were a girl, and thought I was supposed to have been a girl, but that's different that thinking that I AM a girl right? Or is it?

I know for sure I don't want to forsake my penis, which I love very very much -- though, I do often wish I could have a vagina too, and have always wanted breasts... And I'm ashamed to admit this but it's a huge concern for me: I'm quite vain, and think I'm a handsome man, but I don't want to become an unattractive woman; becoming ugly suddenly at 35 would be a blow to the ego I don't know how to deal with.

I've been through this around and around in circles for so long, years. When when when will I figure it out if I don't start telling people about it, outside the echo chamber of my own head? But I dont wanna tell people until I know.

About 6 months ago I started antidepressants and that's what I credit with everything coming to a head now. My thinking has all changed. I am ready to embrace what I need to be happy, but first I gotta know what that is.

Thanks for letting me vent, internet!

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow that's a lot. You've got a lot hinging on this decision too. I hope you can figure out a working solution. Sorry, i don't really have any advice. Is there anybody in your life that you can talk with about it? What about a counselor that specializes in gender? Cause i think in order to transition, anyways, you'd need to be diagnosed. At least that's my cisgender female understanding of it...

3. Marbabar

Thanks for the moral support lunarlyric!

4. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that depends on where you live.

Otherwise though, find maybe one person you can trust to talk about this stuff with you and not tell others. And, outside of that, those of us here at EC are always open to talk. If you need help figuring stuff out (I recently got through a three month period of questioning myself, so I feel semi-qualified to help) feel free to hit up my wall.