1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who to come out to at school? or both? or no one?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shadowgirl37, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I really feel that I want to come out to a teacher at my school. I have 2 that I know would be a good person to be the first adult I come out to.

1) My computer teacher. He is openly gay, and I took his class last year. I'm not this year but I still talk to him all the time, whether its stopping in his office for a conversation or just saying hello in the hall, I feel it would be easy to approach him and just start talking about it and come out to him.

2) My English teacher from last year. Pretty sure she is straight, but not 100%. She is very accepting though, and even last year in class she corrected someone when they said LGBT. She wrote LGBTQ+ on the board instead and drew like 5 underlines. So she would probably be a good choice as well.

I don't know which of them to come out to, or should I come out to them both so that I have 2 adults to reach out to?
    Also how would I say it, would I just be like "I'm gay" or should I say something else?

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions I just really feel like I need someone to tell before my head explodes. Because right now the only people that know are my friends my schools GSA, and my girlfriend.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Shadowgirl37,

If/when you Come Out to someone is always your choice. It sounds like you have thought this through pretty well and both teachers sound like they'd be accepting. If you feel comfortable Coming Out to them and believe that they will not tell anyone else without your permission, then why not? From the way you wrote, it sounds like you want to Come Out to both of them.

I would recommend that you ask to talk to each of them privately (i.e. with no other students around) and then you could either just tell them or preface it with something like "can I tell you something very personal and private about myself?"

Just some thoughts.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!:slight_smile:

3. abirdy

Since you were kind enough to reply to my question, I suppose my amateur feedback might help. It might seem kind of awkward if you just blurt out your gay but if you worked the conversation and maybe mentioned your girlfriend to your teacher (I would go with your english teacher) she would then know that your obviously gay. Make sure she knows your talking about a romantic relationship not just talking about a friend that you call a girlfriend. I would maybe talk about a date with your girlfriend and somehow relate it back to the conversation your having.

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2017 at 07:24 PM ----------

hope this helps!

4. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi :slight_smile: It sounds like they'd both be pretty accepting, and it's always awesome to have supporting adults around (esp. because school is scary af and kids can be mean). I think either would be a good choice!

Best of luck x