1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Phone Call to Take

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Apr 24, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I had four messages on the PFLAG infoline on Monday when I checked all from the same lady. She sounded pretty desperate to talk to somebody. I called her back and she proceeded to tell me that her son has been in the hospital for two months in California with AIDS related illnesses. When his roommate found out he had AIDS, he told him he had two weeks to get out of the apartment. :frowning2: The mother told me that her son has had a lifetime of hardships including getting bullied in school, beaten up, ect. Yes, this is a parents worst nightmare! This is her only son. He's 30 years old now. She said he's 6 feet tall and only weighs about 105 pounds now. He sounds like he's probably near death.

The mother was crying hysterically when I was talking to her. She wants to move her son to Oregon so she can take care of him. She wanted to know about doctors here that would be able to care for him. She said "I'm just not ready to lose him." By the time she said that, I was crying too. I told her that I just couldn't imagine what she was going through. She just spent 21 days with him in CA and while she was gone she left her house with a housesitter who robbed her and had parties in her house causing damage to her house and her motorhome. She also has 3 dogs she has to worry about when she goes down there.

I called a woman that works with HIV/AIDS patients. I started crying again when I was talking to her. She said "Becky, you did exactly the right thing for this woman. Now you can 'let it go'. lol Easier said than done. She told me that it was probably likely that she wasn't going to be able to move her son if he's in as bad as shape as what she told us. I did tell her that if she needed to go again, that I would help her find somebody trustworthy to watch her house and dogs while she's gone. I told her that she really needed to take care of herself too and asked if she had supportive people around her or if she was getting counseling to deal with all this. She said she had some supportive friends and family so that is good. I also encouraged her to come to PFLAG. The more supportive, compassionate and understanding people that she can talk to, the better.

She called me back yesterday and she seemed to be feeling alot better. She was laughing instead of crying. :slight_smile:

Anyway, it was a hard one. I just want to remind you all to PLEASE have safe sex. No parent should ever have to go through what this woman is.

2. Just Adam

wow that was touching... you did an amaizing job very emotional :slight_smile: you the woman bec :thumbsup:

3. xadude

that is an incredible story, i can only imagine how hard it was to make those phone calls, let alone being in the mothers position... its truely a good thing you have done, i think the woman couldn't have called a better person!

4. Jim1454

You're a really special person, Becky. The world is a better place because of you.

*fights back some tears...*

Thank you for doing everything that you do. Here, with PFLAG, for your son and your family. You're a blessing to everyone around you.

(*hug*)

5. Jesse Jinx

You're amazing Becky. Everyone should have moms like you. You great work. Warning noted. And I agree, no one should have to go through this. Mother or not. She definitely called the right person.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Becky, you are an amazing person! It's awesome that you are so committed to things and that you are always there to help others. (*hug*)

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its hard not to think of myself in that position. I just did what I could to help her. I think any PFLAG mom or dad would have reacted the same way and did what they could to help. I'm proud of all of us that pour our hearts into this work. It really does make a difference. :slight_smile:

8. EM68

Thanks for sharing this story. I had to wipe my eyes. This is a great reminder to everyone even a 40 year old! ALWAYS practice safe sex!! One night of fun is not worth it!

9. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I agree- ALWAYS practice safe sex. All it takes is that one time. And ALWAYS have an honest, upfront conversation about protection and HIV status before you go any further. If the other person takes a lackadaisical attitude towards acquiring STD's, then one night of fun with them is not worth it- NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE IN BED.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sadly, this guy used to promote HIV/AIDS education in high school. All it takes is one time.

11. EM68

What! :jawdrop: :frowning2:

12. Starshine16

Good job Becky.The world needs more people like you and it sounds like you were exactly what this woman needed.And yes always practice safe sex.I couldn't imagine not being safe and making sure that I do everything possible to keep myself safe and healthy.

13. limfjord96

wow.....thats so sad. i dont know what to say.

14. Eleanor Rigby

(*hug*) You're amazing Becky.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Update: This woman finally made it to a PFLAG meeting last night. Her son passed away on April 28th. She is just devastated. I told her how PFLAG was founded and she started crying then saying that she "should have been coming to this group a long time ago!" I told her that she was there now and that is what is important. She cried throughout the whole meeting. We only had seven people there last night but maybe that was a good thing because we were able to give her so much more support than if we'd had a large group. I have a feeling she's going to stick with PFLAG. She was very grateful for our support. She seems like a really fun person. She's just in a whole lot of pain right now. :frowning2:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

Lex

17. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so sad :frowning2:

I can't imagine what it must be like for her to go through all of that.

(*hug*)

18. Jim1454

We're here on earth to help each other. Not everyone gets that. I don't manage to remember it all the time either.

It's wonderful that the 7 of you provided her with that place for her to feel understood - where she was comfortable enough to experience her own emotions.

19. Eleanor Rigby

That's so sad. I can relate more than you guess.
    (*hug*) Eleanor