1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "do you have a boyfriend" question.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Meatballs, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Meatballs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Helllooo! :slight_smile: Basically, I'm super feminine, so nobody ever suspects I'm gay, which means I am *constantly* asked "oh, do you have a boyfriend?" There are pretty much two ways that I can reply to that:

a.) "Not at the moment haha! What about you?"

b.) "Oh, actually I'm interested in girls, by the way, but I'm not dating anyone at the moment. What about you?"

What do you guys normally answer to that? I'm meeting up with an old acquaintance and I'm really dreading that question. I've tried to gauge their stance on LGBT stuff before, and they've always awkwardly changed the subject. I probably won't meet up with them again, so there's no problem if I don't mention it, but at the same time, I feel like it's something I shouldn't be ashamed of...

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on who is asking. If it's anybody except old family members, I say "no, I have a girlfriend".

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually tell them that It's none of their business. What I do in my relationships is between me and my partner only. I don't understand this question; It's basically prying. Don't ask me this unless you actually want to get with me.

4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably go with the first part of b

5. CameOutSwinging

You could just kindly correct them. Like -

Person - "Do you have a boyfriend?"

You - "A girlfriend? Oh no, not at the moment."

I haven't dealt with yet personally since most people I come across either know I'm single and dating guys, or know of me as being married to a woman and since I haven't told them that we split up (like at work), they have no reason to think we have.

6. bball3323

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    From a gay woman said she was straight for 22 years and has since came out as gay I get asked this question a lot lol. When I first cam out, they would ask "so, do you have a boyfriend?" I would totally shy away and be like no and nervously laugh and quickly change the subject. Today 4 months since coming out my confidence has raised greatly. I dont care what the person on the other end of the conversation thinks when they ask if I have a boyfriend and I politely say....."im gay, so no i dont. usually what happens they say sorry i didnt mean to assume. I laugh, then they lighten it up my saying, well do you have a girlfriend? If anyone reacts negatively they will never be worth your time or you could educate them :slight_smile: