1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letter to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Halpert, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Halpert

Hey guys,

I think I've finally come to the decision of telling my parents. I considered telling Mum first, but I knew she would tell Dad right away, so the letter will be addressed to both of them. I'm posting this because I want your guy's input on the letter and I want something that will ensure I give it to them. A little pressure if you will.

My parents are coming into town to pick up all my college stuff Monday. I'll be driving myself back home Tuesday. They won't get into town until my last final exam starts, so they'll just be taking the stuff from my room while I'm gone. I intend to leave the letter with my stuff, where they'll easily find it. Or, I might call them a little before and tell them its there.

It'll work out that by time I'm out of my exam, they'll be back home. So here it is:

Mom and Dad,

I’m writing you this because there’s something important I have to tell you. I’m telling you like this mainly because I can’t bring myself to tell you out loud, but also so you have time to talk about it before I get home. Don’t be worried, I’m alright, I didn’t get kicked out of school and I didn’t kill someone. Although, there have been a few people I’ve wanted to. You guys know that I love you with all my heart, and I would never do something to intentionally hurt you. But on the flip side, my love for you guys compels me to finally tell you this. It’s time you guys know that I’m gay. (Sorry, that was a little on the dramatic side)

I don’t want to go into too great of detail in the now, we’ll talk about it tomorrow when I get back. But there are a few things I want you to know right away. This isn’t something I chose; all high school I prayed that God would fix me and make me normal. It took me until the beginning of this semester to accept it myself. I’m sorry I’m telling you this in a letter, I tried to tell you guys at Easter, but I just couldn’t. You don’t need to worry about me, I’ll be okay. And when I get home, I won’t be camp or have a lisp.

I’m assuming you read this in the van, on the way back to ______. I’m probably still in my exam, I will be until 6 at the latest. Call me after if you want, let me know you got home safe. We can talk about it then if you really want to, but I’d rather talk about it when I get home tomorrow. I’m sorry for the pain this is causing you, I wish it were different. I love you guys no matter what.

Love,

_______

What do you guys think? On both the letter and my plan of attack.

Thanks for your input!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  3. Thisisnew

Very nice letter good luck.

4. epiphanies

The letter looks very good. The only thing I would change is that part about causing pain. I would omit that and just say that you love them. That way your message is in a positive light and there are no bad connotations connected to you being gay. But that is just my opinion. Good luck!

5. Miles D

awesome :slight_smile:
    good luck, I hope they react well!!

6. Starshine16

That was my first thought too as I got to the end of the letter.You want this to have positive connotation and assuming that this will cause them pain is putting a negative spin on the news.Just tell them that you love them and that you are glad that you are telling them about this important part of you.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's a good letter. :slight_smile:

The only suggestion I would have is to take out the following part:

Also, I think it might be good if you change one sentence:

Maybe you could change it to or along the lines of, "As the news might be difficult for you, I understand if you need some time to adjust. I hope that you can accept me for who I am."

And as Becky indicated, if you think it might be good, include some PFLAG material. Also, there is a really good book entitled, "Now that you know". Chapters or Indigo Books might have it on their shelves.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

8. Halpert

Great, thanks for the input and encouragement guys!

I took out both the joke at the beginning and the part about causing pain at the end.

Thanks for the suggestion Becky, I printed off Our Daughters and Sons for them.

As to whether or not I actually do this is still up in the air. I'll let you all know what happens.

9. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey - kind of a random side thought: You mention you're planning on giving it to them before you go into an exam? Just want to give you an obvious heads up: You're gonna feel really stressed out when you give them the letter. Maybe there's another time that would work just as well, without the added stress of an exam?

Just thought I'd mention that - I don't want you to do poorly on your exam!!

Whatever you decide though, best of luck - I'm sure you're going to be so happy you've done this.

10. Halpert

Hey jblack,

I thought of that too, but I should be able to do a fairly good job of focusing. It's no too hard of an exam anyway, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for your concern!

11. Alex19

it was a really good letter. short and to the point.