1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bit Offended!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SadConfusedBandGeek, Jul 4, 2007.

1. SadConfusedBandGeek

Ok, so i was hanging out with three of my friends tonight and "apparantly" one of them isn't aloud to be with me because I am a bisexual. (Her sister found out and told her dad) She was telling me this i almost cried in front of all three of them!
    She said she didn't care and she would hang out with me anyway though.

BUT her dad said, that she could hang out with me if i was gay. BUT not bisexual!?!?!

I was to scared to go ask him why cause i was afraid of him, because my other friends say he is a bit scary.

But i was wondering if anyone has had similiar things happen to them, because i was quite offended.

2. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

maybe it's coz he didnt want u to hit on his daughter?

3. SadConfusedBandGeek

But he didn't care when i was straight

4. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

ooh. that's weird O__O

5. Hydrogen

People are strange. I would just let it blow over, and continue with my life. His issues with bisexual people is not your problem. I mean, your still able to hang out with her, right? so has anything really changed?

I have found that just ignoring people like that is the best thing to do.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people, such as my mother, think that being gay is (more or less) OK but that being bisexual means that you are not mentally healthy. It might be one of those cases.

Following the above example, my mom tells me that I can't be bi, that I'm gay because I simply can't like both sexes at once. It is no secret that she (and my grandparents too) think it's perverted to like both sexes...

7. CrimsonThunder

Maybe he thinks that you're biseuxal-ness will rub onto her. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But nah, that is terrible... I think you should watch out for your friend, from what I can tell her father isn't very nice and might get angry at her if he finds out.

8. 24601

That's kinda really weird. You could always just tell him you're gay or something like that if that would change his mind... it's stupid, but at least you won't ruin your friendship.

9. SpikySpice

Right, well, I'm glad that she still wanna be your friend.

I think if you want her dad to stop not liking you, you have to go to him, lol, and ask why and you also need to say you are gay if necessary,

yeah... but you say you are scared of him

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's probably related to my father saying that "bisexuals are animals" once when I was growing up: I think a lot of people feel bisexual people are sex-crazed. I don't think that and no rational person would, but prejudice is hardly rational.

Basically, some ignorant people can handle homosexuality because they can just make a little switch of genders and *poof* it all still fits into hegemonic heterosexuality which says that boys like girls and girls like boys. But the notion that someone might be attracted to a range of genders--now THAT freaks some people out.

A friend of mine's father wouldn't let him hang out with me after he found out I was gay... which wasn't terribly surprising because the guy was totally regressive. What hurt the most was that my friend, who was hardly a minor at the time (being 19 or 20) didn't stand up to his bigoted father. So that was one less friend for me.

11. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry that your friend's dad is like that, but remember that you are not his friend and as long as you don't do anything to hurt his daughter, then his opinion or say should not matter...besides your friend still wants to be your friend, so I say take comfort in that and ignore what the father says. Good Luck!!!(!) (&&&) :thumbsup:

12. Ben James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats funny, my dad said much the same to me when i asked what he thought about gay people. He told me that he was fine with homosexuals but that bi-sexuals "spread diseases" :confused:. I tried to explain that that didn't make sense to me and he started to get really angry with me. This is basically why im reluctant to come out to him. He doesn't exactly have a track record of being open-minded :dry:. I guess some people are just inclined to dislike something without taking the time to think it through.

13. TeeBe

People are odd, aren't they?? Sounds like my mom...

"Bisexuals can choose. You AREN'T gay! why don't you just CHOOSE to be straight??"

HAHAHA...not funny...

Might help to explain his attitudes though. Unfortunately, there are too many open-minded people who are anti-bisexual.