1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will she know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jose Carioca, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    I just sent the following to my English teacher. Do you think she'll figure out that I'm gay? I wrote it, by the way.

Fred walks into a coffee shop and takes a look at the menu. He sees coffee, and tea.[a very small selection] He looks around and sees that everyone else is drinking coffee except a couple of others that everyone else keeps giving sideways glances. Fred really likes tea, and has never really been a fan of coffee. Everyone else says that coffee is better because:it has more caffeine, it has numerous health benefits, people have drunk it that way for thousands of years.

Fred feels socially pressured to order coffee. He knows that his friends will be here any minute and they always order coffee. Fred, while waiting in line, remembers that his parents always drank coffee and they raised him that way. Why shouldn't he? Closing the menu, he decides that he's a coffee man--Until he spots another walking away with a cups of hot, steamy tea and suddenly his mouth waters. Suddenly, Fred has an idea: if he puts a lid over his tea no one would ever know!

As he orders his drink he smirks at his clever plan. He snatches his drink off the counter and takes a seat. No sooner than his tea lid snaps in place, the door opens and jingles as his friends walk in. They order their coffee and sit down. But what's this? As Fred's friend sits down the tea spills all over his white shirt, and sitting right in his lap is a tea bag.

[Hey reader, you didn't think this was a boring old two dimensional metaphor did you? Take out a coin and flip it. If it's heads, read ending A, if it's tails, read endingB.]

Ending A

Fred's friends gasp and grab him by the collar and apologize to the fellow coffee drinkers. No one can here the muzak over his screams as they drag him out the door and into the alley. The friends throw Fred against the wall and dump the rest of the tea onto his face and proceed to kick him. They kick him until his blood mixes with tea and his tears with pavement.

Ending B

Fred's friends gasp and grab him some napkins to dab the offending beverage from his shirt. Rather than ask him why he had been drinking tea, they ask him if it burned him. Fred relaxes. He friends care more about him than about the beverage he drinks. It wasn't even a big deal in the first place. They buy him a new tea and pour cream and sugar in and stir until cream mixes with sugar and sugar with tea.

The end

#1 Jose Carioca, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. mcrteenagers

Yes. Unless she is very obtuse, your metaphor was very obvious (or at least to me).

Great job with the work!

3. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks... Sometimes my analogies are a little esoteric and obscure.

4. Eleanor Rigby

That's a good job. I really like it. You're teacher probably figure out.

5. riddlerno1

Honestley it did take me two reads to figure it out but the metaphor is very good. If your teacher takes time to figure it out then she will. But a very good story.

6. davo-man

Hmmm, i don't think it's quite so obvious. You could be talking about a whole myriad of socially abnormal/minority-esque things, such as being a vegan or having a religion not widely accepted in your area. I mean, it's obvious that you're not talking about coffe, but (to me) not wholly obvious what it is that you're talking about

On the other hand, you being gay would definately be one of the options that your teacher would think it was about. He/she may not be certain that that's what it's about, but I'd say they would see it as a major possibility

7. -Michael-

Not obvious at all.

It can be a metaphor for any secret.

The only reason why it's obvious to us is that...
    well this is a gay forum.

8. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

It's only obvious that it's a metaphor for him liking or being something different then the majority, I don't see at all how she could figure out the gay part of it unless she knew you were gay.

9. ArabMan

First of all I love it!

Secondly I think she'll figure it out :slight_smile:

I figured it out but I'm totaly biased since I'm reading this post from a web site called empty closets lolol

#9 ArabMan, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  10. Starshine16

Yes I think she'll figure it out.It might take her two reads,but she will.The only rwason I picked it out was because I am good at seeing metaphors.

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

It's obvious to us because we're gay people posting in a gay forum. We were all thinking about sexual orientation before reading the first word of your story. But if she's an overall good reader, she'll notice that sexuality could be one of the possible interpretations.

12. mcrteenagers

I thought it may be a funny read if you replaced coffee with girls and tea with boys.

13. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    "Until he spots another walking away with a cups of hot, steamy boy and suddenly his mouth waters"

Oh god! I'm in stitches!

14. Just Adam

i think it was great very thoughtfull she should understand unless shes totally dumb

you should be proud at what youve accomplished here :slight_smile:

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's fantastic! There are a few possible interpretations, and she might end up reading something else into it (like differences in religion, for example), but sexuality's one of the first things I'd think of on reading that.

16. spencer101

yea it's a little obvious but that's ok it's fabulous! shine on =D

~Spence <33

17. Gambit

It was a very good analogy, well done! I don't think it is very obvious, but it will probably make your teacher think that there is something different about you.

18. Possibly Maybe

I share this view.

19. Aiken

^

Me too. It doesn't seem obvious on the first read. At least until it gets to the Part A (Why would they want to harm tea drinker, tea is good. :frowning2: ). Whatever happens if the teacher flips the coin and reads only Part B. xD

Overall, I think it's really good.

20. RaeofLite

Wow. I REALLY like this analogy. Well written. :grin:

She might, she might not. It's hard to say without knowing your professor. In the past I've written essays and assignments about my sexuality in sociology and I think it actually helped improve my writing because it was coming from the heart. And female professor was always open minded anyway, so it was a win-win all around. :slight_smile: