1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closet Loneliness?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by happy2day, Apr 26, 2017.

1. happy2day

Hey ya'll! I've been reading through posts for a while, but I haven't had the chance to post anything yet.

I'm not out yet, and I'm honestly not sure when I'll be able to comfortably be. Being from the south, my family (and many of my city) is incredibly "traditional" and religious, and I'm honestly not sure how my friends would take it either. I'm at the point in my life where I want serious relationships with my friends and even a significant other, but I'm not even sure how to go about meeting other people. I sometimes feel lonely even when I'm around my good friends because I feel like I'm constantly having to a hide a very important part of myself. Any suggestions on how to manage loneliness before coming out or how to meet people within the LGBT community without being out out to friends and family?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated! Thanks!

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could see if there are any lgbt+ meetups in your area

3. yeonnie

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Solid idea. Also, if you're open to this sort of thing you could try dating apps? I haven't used it but I've heard of one for LGBT women called Her.

As for managing closet loneliness, this is something I'm kinda struggling with too. For me the best I can do is stick to sites like these and social media. I've met a handful of open-minded people online, and on some social media platforms (like tumblr, vent, twitter) I'm totally out of the closet. I keep them mostly anonymous so people I know in real life won't find me there, and I can feel safe to say things I'd normally have to hold back. This eases the loneliness for me, at least a little... I wish I had more ways to help, but unfortunately I'm pretty stuck too :frowning2: