1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My Mom Helping Me Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alainbeaux, Apr 27, 2017.

1. alainbeaux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Everyone,

So, both my parents are extremely conservative. Honestly, i'm not quite sure what my dad thinks of gay people because he rarely mentions them outside of the occasional gay joke (and I tend to not be too offended by them, since they're just the stock ones and some are actually funny and not really offensive). My mom is much more vocal about her opinions and I've always thought she thought being gay was wrong, but today (and several times before) she told me how she didn't agree with the whole LGBT thing and how it was wrong and against nature. However, she specifically said that being GAY was ok. It's lesbianism and transgenderism and she disapproves of. I was kind of happy to hear this actually. I mean, is that her way of telling me that she pretty knows at this point i'm gay and she's ok with it? She asks me if I'm gay occasionally and I usually find a way to answer without saying no (though i've flat denied it sometimes too). I feel like my sexuality is still a bit of an unanswered question in my family because I never talk about girls, and have never had a girlfriend. What do you guys think? Is my mom trying to tell me she accepts me or am I looking too much into this?

2. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's safe to say she has assumed for a while and you could open up to her about it. People tend to be a bit more opened minded after finding out someone they love is gay or something. I kept myself so closeted for a long time, thinking my own family would shun me because of who I am.. It turns out they reacted the completely opposite way when I finally said it. Strange thing about loved ones.. Most can have open minds and when you grow up with them.. they have the feeling something is up.

#2 PrinceVegeta, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your 27, she seems to have cracked the door open, maybe it's time to actually now open it all the way and walk out from the closet. In doing so, you will be making yourself vulnerable which will help you on your own journey build confidence and self esteem; and she can begin the process to fully embrace your sexuality, and even becoming comfortable with the entire LGBT community.

4. I am here

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I truly believe a lot of the time, mums just know. You're her son, she knows you and i think she was definitely hinting at you that she's aware and it's ok.
    I came out to my mum about 6 weeks ago, i knew she wouldn't care, I'm lucky in the fact my family is very open minded. When i told her she said that she wasn't at all surprised. I was married with kids and yet she said that she had thought over the years that i may have an attraction to women, not because of anything i did or said, but she just had a feeling. Mother's intuition?
    This might be your chance, if you feel ready, to talk to your mum about your sexuality, it certainly seems as if she's open to it.

Good luck!