1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at Nationals: No freaking clue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by love dont judge, Apr 28, 2017.

1. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all. So I made a similar thread to this in the gender identity section but as I was thinking about it, I realize it fits more aptly here.
    Anyways, so I compete in this academic competition. It's called National History Day. Basically you're given a theme and you have to pick a topic that ties into the theme and prepare a project that falls under one of five categories. Well, my documentary advanced to the state level, which was exciting as I was first from my school to go to state. Then, at the state level, my name was announced as one of the top two senior individual documentaries in the state so now I'm advancing to the national competition in DC/University of Maryland in June. So excited!
    However, I'm going to know literally nobody here so I'm going to have to make friends with the other fifty or so students from Team Wisconsin. I was hoping since it's a week long event that I would introduce myself as Luvina and present as a girl to the team for the duration of the contest, with the exception being my project and roll call, etc.
    However, I realize that I have no idea how to go about doing this, since I'll have to be explaining to everyone right off the bat that I'm trans. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to go about doing this? Thanks!

2. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this is what you want to do, I think you should just say your name and pronouns, etc. when you meet someone. Like, just say it right when you introduce yourself, like "hi I'm Luvina and I'm a girl/I use she/her pronouns" etc etc, however you want to do it. That way you're upfront with it and everyone who you need to know knows right away. Idk if you needed that advice but I'm not sure what else to say. Being confident when you tell people (and remind people, if you have to) will probably help!

This is really brave of you!! and I love your name :slight_smile: I hope nationals go smoothly for you!

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much! Really what I struggle with is coming out. When I told the school, I basically just creates a rumor about myself and let others confront me about it. So I have like, no idea on how to come out and tell them, really, as I am extremely awkward and these are people who I know literally nothing about.