1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared for parents finding out I am gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DusDogs, Apr 29, 2017.

1. DusDogs

(Firstly, I don't know if I should put this here, but let's get started.)
    So I am now on a trip around the world with my parents and 2 brothers for a year and it was really this year that I was sure that I was gay. Not that I didn't notice it before, but I became completly sure that I had no intrest in girls. But I am scared that other people notice that I am gay, my parents or brothers or people on the streets. So I am now in Honduras and some of the guys here are super hot and if I do not pay attention I start staring at guys when we sit on the plaza or walk passed them on the streets. I know almost for sure that my twin brother is also gay because he also checks out the same guys as I do but I am still terrified that they find out. I also don't want to came out to my parents because I don't want to ruin the trip for them, but I know they will not really care aslong I am happy and that they already gave a idea that I might be but it stays scary. So what do I need to do, should I look at guys or not? And how should I handle my fear for them finding out, my parents are really good at guessing.

2. MNB93

Hey. I'm only out to my sister and two friends and feel the exact same way as you. I'm afraid to tell my parents. It was pretty tough for me to come out (this was a little less than two weeks ago) and I don't know where to begin telling my parents. Don't worry, you are not alone.

3. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember very well the day I came out to my family, now over 20 years ago.

In my opinion life is short and you need to enjoy it. Check the guys out! But be discreet and learn how to have a photographic memory. Get a glimpse and commit it to memory, but don't let your eyes dwell too long. Prolonged eye contact is a pretty universal sign of interest.

It sounds as though you will eventually have an accepting experience with your parents when you do choose to come out, but for now I agree that waiting to come out is best. Depending on the circumstance the topic may come up naturally, and your parents may steer the conversation in that direction when they're ready. It's easy for me to say as a guy who's older (44) - but - you will be okay in time.

I also remember a great trip to Honduras and yes - some beautiful men! Just enjoy. :slight_smile:

Patrick

4. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do you feel about coming out to your twinbrother first?That way you would have some support and someone to talk to in real life.

Just look at anyone you want to look at. If you parents ask you if you're gay, just tell them. That's the easiest way to come out anyways. You really just have to say yes. If they are accepting parents, which they seem to be, it will most likely not ruin your trip.

Hiding this part of you from your parents is really hard especially if you are living with them. If you feel ready to come out to them, just try to ignore all your fears and do it. You will probably feel free to look at everyone you want to look at afterwards.