1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family+friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Harveyy, May 3, 2017.

1. Harveyy

i made this post on another forum but im still kind of stuck in this situation:
    -

i've known that i'm LGBT for about three and a half years, and i haven't said a thing about it to my family. i came out to my friends as a lesbian about two years ago (and i plan to come out to them again soon enough, since i know they're very accepting ppl) and so far ive come out to my closest friend, Daria, and my girlfriend as a bi trans person, which is a little bit of progress

but the point is, im still not sure how my family would react to me being trans. i feel like they'd generally accept me if i told them I was bi, but they'd probably take it worse if i told them im a boy? i live with my stepfather and three siblings; my mom is pretty ignorant to LGBT issues but she's also very accepting, so ill eventually come out to her. but the rest of my family (grandparents, my dad, my cousins, literally anyone else, including my stepfather who lives in the same house as me) is full of homophobes and transphobes who, at best, would be uncomfortable with me. i wouldn't get kicked out of the house or anything but it'd just make being with my family a lot more stressful than it already is, and im not really up for being insulted and disrespected at every corner until i move out (and that's a long time from now). but on the other hand i really can't stand it to be closeted- i get continually misgendered every day and it's messing me up that i can't present myself the way i want to without my family being suspicious, and my dysphoria is just getting worse. if i came out to them id also be able to come out at school, which idk what would happen in that situation?? but im willing to go through with it (im going to a new school next year so itll be a fresh start. that's nice at least).

basically the question i have to ask is should i try coming out now, or should i wait until i move out of the house?? idk which would be less trouble. any advice would be appreciated

EDIT: also i'm not really sure how bring my gender up to my friends?? i know for sure that everything will go well, i just don't have any starters

2. HeHimHarrison

I came out to my friends via text and talked about it in person, it worked for me. It basically went, "I'm sorry I've been depressed lately, here's why, this is called dysphoria, this is what I'm going to do about it, love ya." I guess I can't help with the bi thing because while I'm pan, I don't feel a need to tell everyone.

I wouldn't recommend waiting. I waited 4 years to tell my parents :/ it's not fun at all. If you're sure that they won't kick you out it might be better to just tell them outright. Sometime over the summer might be nice. Also I hope you have an awesome time at your new school! I'm coming out at the start of next school year as well :slight_smile: