1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to come out to grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeHimHarrison, May 5, 2017.

1. HeHimHarrison

Hello all! I'm two steps away from full social transition and those steps are named Grandma and Grandpa, two loving grandparents who love me for being straight, cis, and completely normal (lol). They are transphobic and I'm afraid it will shatter our relationship if I tell them hey, I'm a boy now. The bigger issue is that we (my mom and I) are somewhat dependent on them and if they disown my mom, I'm afraid it'll hurt her. That and we'd have to find an apartment. How can I come out to them in a way that's least likely to make them angry? Letter, in person, NOT TEXT because they can't read on their small screens, phone call, etc. Or just some tips on explaining the general trans situation would be appreciated too. :help:

2. Brigianna

Hi :slight_smile:

The situation is difficult. It's not an easy feat to explain these things to old people who live in the 'old world'. It you and your mom are dependent on them it makes the things even more tough.
    What if you started to speak with them about trans people in general not disclosing you, you might educate them a little before you come open. Trans people are the same people like they are. God loves everyone. You might take it slow and safer. When you open up to
    them your grandparents might be more understanding.

Best of luck! (*hug*)

3. HeHimHarrison

Thanks! I think that since my grandpa fought for black rights in the sixties and seventies he might be a little more inclusive to other minorities. I'm going to try and take it slow though, just in case. :slight_smile: