1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out on my own or with a friend present?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WeDreamOfPeace, May 7, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all :slight_smile:

Sooooo I'm out to my father and I's best friend, she's a big part of our life. She's really open-minded about LGBT+ issues, and so has accepted me without a thought.

My father often tends to be less open-minded, thinks that all trans people have mental health problems (not gender dysphoria), believes that bisexuals are just desperate and will sleep with anyone, and is a former Jehovah's Witness.

He thinks trans people just obsess over their bodies and are just full off themselves. Anyone who has met me knows this isn't the case.

So, is it a good idea to come out when our friend is around? I did this when I told him I have depression and it worked out OK.

Thankyou all :slight_smile:

2. grass

grass Guest

If you bring a friend (which you definitely should), do it in a public place like a park so that he doesn't feel ganged up on. Make sure that the friend doesn't talk as much as you do, because coming out is all about you and the person you're coming out to. Since he's an EX Jehovah's Witness, he might be able to accept new ideas and be open minded. Good luck! :slight_smile: