1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you come out to your family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thatakwardgirl, May 8, 2017.

1. thatakwardgirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    okay so actually I want to come out to my family but honestly I don't know how to or if it's actually a good idea.

So my family doesn't take me serious most of the time(because I'm a teenager and stuff like that)...and that's kind of the problem. I feel like my family would tease me about it or assume I have a gf of some sort. I actually don't think it's a good idea to come out to my family but I also don't know if hiding my sexuality is a good thing.

do you guys think it's a good idea to maybe keep waiting a bit longer until I'm really sure about my sexuality and tell them when I'm older? Or should I tell them now and take the risk?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thatakwardgirl Hello and welcome to emptyclosets! Coming out to family is always tough. I have come out to three members of my family and it was the hardest thing I have ever done...seriously. I am definitely not a teenager!...and it was still really hard. You say you're a teenager, but you didn't say how old. If you're 18 and about to leave home for university, job, etc, that is completely different than if you are 15 years old. If you are dependent on your family for support and are concerned that they may not take your coming out very well...then I would suggest to wait. Some families handle this well, others don't. You have to make the decision about how you think they will deal with your "News" and how their reaction will effect you. If there is no real big reason that is forcing you to come out right now, then delaying it won't hurt anything at all. They are certainly more likely to accept that kind of announcement from you if they view you as mature enough to understand what you are telling them. Basically...don't get in a hurry unless you have to!......David

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out when I was 14, but it was easier since I already knew my parents were LGBT allies.

If there is bigger risk on your side, I would wait.

4. birobigenausex

The only thing I regret about coming out at fifteen is, that my orientation changed, so it made me look like I didn't know myself, so then they were waiting for me to probably change my mind and come out as straight or something. But, really, it's their problem if they choose not to take you seriously. When and if nothing changes with your orientation over the years, they'll see that. You don't have to Orry about proving it. Just say your piece and time will tell, if you feel they're people you want to be honest with.