1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T minus 2 days

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mk86, May 10, 2017.

1. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey up all

So got parents over for dinner in two days...flatmate is out ...so thinking this is a good time to let the cat out the bag....

Sure they'll be fine with it...maybe bit upset that I've taken so long to tell em (I'm 30)...

Problem is been here before many times in past 6 months and every time I bottle it...i talk myself outta it everytime...make really lame excuses not to do it. I'm almost certain it'll be same again . Yet I know that if I don't do it soon I don't think I ever will...which scares the crap outta me as I just really wanna get on with my life now ...just tired of all the pretence. ...

Not sure why I'm writing this as I doubt anyone will say anything I've not already heard ...just wanna vent really....but be good to hear from anyone who understands and has any tips on how to stop myself talking myself outta doing what needs to be done..

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey mk86,

What about writing up a notecard that says "I'm Gay." And, then, if your voice fails you or you start to get cold feet about Coming Out to them, maybe you could muster the courage to at least hand them the card at some point during or after dinner...

Just a thought. Best of luck!:slight_smile:

3. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you could write them a letter that they can take with them to read so you don't feel so much pressure.

4. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't told my parents yet. My sister was the first person I told. For me, I told her that I had to tell her something and because I looked very nervous, she knew it was something important and I felt I had passed the point of no return and eventually said the words out loud. It went well for me.
    As previously stated, writing down what you want to say is an idea. Another idea might be to audio record your coming out. Doing that or a letter empowers you to say anything you might want to say in the moment when emotions feel overwhelming.
    Good luck.

5. mk86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys. I have thought about the letter/card thing before just not sure that's really me... I like the idea of recording it though lol altho hate listening to my own voice....ah well one day to go...who knows what will happpen...

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you send them a text in advance and tell them there is something you want to talk about when they arrive? Sometimes, setting the scene can help us to stick to the plan.