1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I come out to peers and teachers?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by finnthefish, May 10, 2017.

1. finnthefish

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, hi. I'm currently a freshman in high school (I'm becoming a sophomore this year!). I'm a Transguy and I want to make that public.

But there are a lot of complications.

I already go by another name that's male but I want to change it to something else. Several of my peers know and call me my first male name and I'm too scared to ask if they can change it. Reason being, they had gotten annoyed when another trans guy changed his name to a another name. So that scares me. Also, I do not want them to think it's a phase and I'm just changing my name for fun.

Teachers. I have heard several stories of teachers making a big deal of calling people by their preferred name. I'm planning to do this the first day with my teachers but I don't know how. Would I give them a note? Email them? Just walk up to them and say it? I'd be scared out of my mind but I think I could mustard it up.

And lastly, I have a brother who goes to my high school. I have had times where I thought he heard my friend call me by my male name and he isn't too fond of Trans people. Love my brother to death but I don't think he'd accept me at the moment (maybe older? He may never speak to me again, which will be hard to live with). So I don't want another kid or teacher calling me my male name in front of him. Or my parents. They will flip (my mom has already).

Any help? Thank you!

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    finnthefish....Hi and welcome to emptyclosets! I'm not good at giving any advice to trans folks but I have been following a trans guy for several years that may help you. You can follow his struggle by watching his youtube videos...he is serious and funny and very real. There is a lot to learn by watch his vids: TheRealAlexBertie is the name of his channel....check it out.....David

3. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think emailing or giving your teachers a note, in advance if possible, would be a great idea. If they still call you by the wrong name you can correct them in person.

Also the way I see it you need to live with your chosen name for the rest of your life. If its a small inconvenience to others along the way that's their issue to deal with. I think its completely fine if you need to try using different names until you find one you are comfortable to commit to.

4. finnthefish

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually do watch his videos. Has he made a video on struggling with social anxiety or making friends? If he has, I'd have to watch it

---------- Post added 14th May 2017 at 06:52 PM ----------

I think that would be easier but I guess I just have a fear that they are going to email my parents or say something to someone to get me in trouble. I don't think they are allowed to do that but I just have that fear in the back of my mind.

And thank you for your words! I appreciate it very much!

#4 finnthefish, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017