1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late in lifer here, coming out to my friend this weekend (gulp)!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rana, May 12, 2017.

1. Rana

Rana Guest

I'm not out to anyone (as this is very new to me) and was thinking of coming out to a good friend this weekend (maybe Sunday).

Any advice...do's/don'ts. Help! :confused:

---------- Post added 12th May 2017 at 09:58 PM ----------

Oh wait, I'm out to my therapist but that doesn't count does it? LOL

2. tealreality

When I came out to a friend for the first time (this was just a few months ago), it was one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. I practiced what I was going to say over and over again before I met up with him, and even then, nothing prepared me for the flood of emotions when I first admitted out loud to him that I was questioning my sexuality. Be prepared to be paralyzed with fear before saying what you need to say, and then feeling lots of different emotions when you actually say it.

I came out to a friend who is gay, so I knew there would be help and support. (there was ultimately a little more, but that is a different story ). I would suggest that you be sure that your friend will be supportive. Because once you let yourself out, you will be emotionally vulnerable.

Telling someone else, for me allowed me to confront my questioning head on. I left him that evening with the confidence that I knew I was no longer straight. Now, if I could only work up the courage to tell my other friends.

3. Rana

Rana Guest

Thanks tealreality,

I've been sort of going over in my mind what I need to say (same as you did).
    I know it will be hard, but this is a very understanding person that I trust.
    I have a weird feeling that since I've questioned my sexuality so late in life, that people I come out to will not think it's really a thing, or would think I'm making some kind of mistake. I was one of those people who thought you'd "know" you were attracted to the same sex by your early 20s at the latest. But here I am.
    This is nerve-wracking.
    Thanks for your story. ♥

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think it sounds like you are ready and have thought about it a lot. Sure it will be hard but you obviously feel that you want to do it so go for it.

5. Rana

Rana Guest

Ok, I came out to a friend today, and it was so much easier than I thought. My friend was like, "ok." LOL! I'm releaved! The fact that even one person in my life knows makes it easier.

6. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!
    It feels great doesn't it! I came out to a hetero couple I am close with and we all hugged and I felt so relieved - i feel so much closer to them now because I no longer have to live a lie! I felt like I can just 'be me'