1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it okay to correct pronouns?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Not24601, May 13, 2017.

1. Not24601

I'm not fully out of the closet when it comes to my gender, but I have told a few people my pronouns and I'm usually wearing pronoun bracelets. At least 3/4 of these people keep using She/Her and I really don't want them to do this. It really hurts when they do and I hate confrontation and don't wish to sound like a jerk so I let it slide. Of course this ideology only causes me getting pushed into the closet further. Nevertheless, I have corrected my mother a few times and each time she makes me out to be the attacker.

I do realize that I'm not being fully fair to my mother as I empathize on the factors that being a single parent is hard. Much less being a single parent of a middleschooler with Aspergers who is going through his middle school phase of being a jerk and the mess that I am. Nor am I calling her out as homophobic or trans-phobic, she just doesn't under the feeling of being mispronounced and is very anti-labels.

However, what I think I'm really trying to get at here with is how can I correct my pronouns in a way that is respectable to all parties.