1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out... at work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

Should I come out at work? this is something I'm wondering...

I'm returning to my summer job of riding an ATV doing orchard work and being in rain or sun. :slight_smile: I like it and I have good co-workers and a friendly boss and my wages are a bit higher than average.

My question is... should I mention or casually slip things in that I'm gay?

Because of my outdoor job I generally dress down, baggy pants, tshirts, hoodies, not lot of makeup etc (because of the elements)... but I also carry around my wallet, which I've found to love more than a purse.

If my co-workers/boss mentions something 'oh you looking for a sugar daddy?" just jokingly, I laugh and say "no I'm pretty independent". I think they might be ok with it... I mean my orientation doesn't affect my quality of work or willingness... so... should I casually slip it into conversation if it comes up again? (Parents and good friends already know)

And do you have any ideas how to slip it in? Or any advice/experiences you went through coming out at work? Any posts would be appreciated.

2. Miles D

hmm... personally, I wouldn't bring it up. I mean, when other people are talking about hot celebrities, mention cute girls, but I wouldn't slip it into a conversation. I mean, act neutral about it. If you bring it up, people might think that you were trying to get attention (or other weird things.) So, yeah. That's what I think. If it never comes up, then no need to mention it. But no need to hide, because, like you said, it doesn't affect your work at all.
    good luck :grin:

3. epiphanies

You could say "No, but I do want a sugar mama!" Haha j/k.

I'm kinda in agreement with the other post, don't mention it unless it is brought up. Sure if someone asks who you like, go ahead and say it, but I wouldn't dig for ways to come out.

4. Jtonka1

There both right. At my job I play a don't flaunt it don't deny it role. I don't bring up the convo but if it's brought up I admit it.

5. aerwolfen

I personally have brought it up with a few of my co-workers, and they have taken it quite well and joke along side,it really has for me made work alot more pleasurable,and i feel you really want to let your guys know as well,especially when your working with them all summer long,instead of them hitting on you,they realize they have no chance,and become like a external family to you,if they are as supporting as you feel they will be.i see no harm,plus you can be more of yourself,have a great outdoor BC summer,your extremely lucky.