1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ARB, May 15, 2017.

1. ARB

ARB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing that I'd like to do (I think? I'm wavering) is to come out to someone I trust. I'm not ready to be out publicly, but I think telling someone else would be, I dunno, helpful? validating?

So there is a gay guy at work, in his 50's, and he is the only gay adult I know in real life. We work closely together, and have hung out socially a few times, board game night with my family, dinners, etc. I trust him not to gossip. He seems like the logical, safe choice to come out to. I don't really have any close friends that I could tell. I'm sure he's going to be shocked.

How do I do that? How do i start that conversation? Barging into his office and announcing that I like guys doesn't seem like the right approach. I'm not sure how to articulate why I want to tell someone in general, or him in particular. More than a negative reaction, I guess I'm concerned that it will be awkward because we aren't really confidants.

I'd appreciate some advice! Thanks!

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you could go for lunch. There may be a suitable opening while you are chatting in a more social environment.

3. Rob in FL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to a gay colleague once. We went to lunch, just like NerdByNature suggested. At a break in the conversation I paused, said "Can I trust you with some confidential personal information?", and the rest was history.

4. ARB

ARB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing that has been on my mind as I think about this today is, Why should I? Things are far from settled at home. I haven't completely come to terms with it yet. This guy isn't really involved in my life. On one hand, I want to share with someone, but on the other hand, sexuality is a pretty private and personal thing. Why would I share it just for the sake of telling someone?

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with having another person you can talk to. Maybe just work on a friendship and when things are more settled etc you could then broach the subject if you want to.

6. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a good potential confidante to have. As you process coming out, it does help to have someone to talk to. A gay guy at my work really helped me navigate many issues that surrounded coming out and finding my way in the gay world as a newly out gay man. I recommend it.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: