1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internalised homophobia question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rosette, May 16, 2017.

1. rosette

Just a quick question, as I have been agonising over it all weekend.. would you confess to your crush that you were brought up with internalised homophobia??

I wondered if i should say that, or just say that my parents are homophobic? I decided to use the word "internalised" because that means I am owning it, i.e. I am coming out to her, I'm not hiding behind my parents' homophobia as if it doesn't affect me. I am admitting I am not straight, but have struggled with the negative messages given to me because of my parents' homophobia. Does that sound ok to you guys?

2. Lunaa

Maybe tell her you have struggled with some internalized homophobia because of the environment you grew up in, but that you're dealing with it and that those are the thoughts that you have been conditioned to have, not your own opinions. However, if it doesn't have much influence on your relationship, you probably don't need to make a big point of bringing it up. Just tell her if you feel it's important to get out of the way.