1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is making a big deal of coming out neccesary?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Morrighan, May 17, 2017.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan Guest

I'm still pretty young and it probably is a bit early for me to ask this since im not really sure about my sexuality but.. Do I need to come out?

I don't mean I'm going to stay closeted forever, but if you know your parents/friends would be at least kinda okay with you not being straight, do u need to do some kind of big reveal or can u literaly just randomly mention u have a GF (In case ur a girl) or even just say it when someone asks if u have a BF just say you're not straight?

I'm still very unsure about my sexuality and i've never really had anything more than small short time crushes, but I kinda feel like I like girls too? And maybe even more than boys. It's just most of my friends, and my parents (grandparents are too religious...) are very accepting about this kind of stuff, so if I don't really feel like I need it, should I really make a big thing of it if I ever need to come out to those people?

#1 Morrighan, May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  2. poltergirl

don't worry, everyone always has time to explore, that's how i ended up where i am today. maybe you do like boys, but girls are more to your preferrence, or maybe it could switch around-love is strange, sexuality is fluid.

3. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there!

There really are no rules for this! If you want to tell them, tell them, if you don't want to then don't. It's really up to you. It doesn't have to be a big deal, you could just simply tell them but if you feel like making a big deal out of it then by all means go ahead, shout it from the rooftops/wear a rainbowflag whatever. But always think before you do something and you didn't mention how young you are exactly but try to tell your parents in a way they'll understand that this is who you are and that this is what makes you happy :slight_smile:

Btw go belgium :wink: I'm belgian too!

4. Morrighan

Morrighan Guest

Since I'm not dating anyone and I'm not even sure about this I'm definitely not doing it right now of course, so I have a lot of time to think about it. I don't really have a good relation with my parents but they are pretty accepting of LGBT+ So I'm very lucky for that.

Thanks for the advice

Also I kinda hate Belgium XD I live here but it's soo boring

5. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take your time to figure things out and there is absolutely no rush :slight_smile: I know it's confusing, I'm still figuring things out too.

It's great that your parents are accepting so you don't have to worry about that

haha I know what you mean about belgium, I had that feeling too and I'm actually living in another country right now. But I kind of started to like Belgium more since I don't live there anymore, very strange :wink:

6. dogmtif795

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A friend once sent me about ten memes on skype with a message saying "btw I'm bisexual" at the end of it. We've discussed sexualities and gender identities before and she knew I'd be cool with it, so it wasn't a big deal at all!

As said before me, there is no rush at all and you can really take these things at your own pace. It's your sexuality, not anyone else's, and if you want to keep it personal for a while, by all means, do so!

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great that you have supportive people for whenever you do want to tell them or when you do end up dating. Sure, if someone asks if you have a bf you can reply you have a gf actually, or that you're looking for a gf. That's a great way of letting people know when it comes up and if you want to. It's really all up to you. Take care! :slight_smile: