1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you feel happier after coming out or worse?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by redpenguincat, May 17, 2017.

1. redpenguincat

Hi, so I just came out today. So far I've had 3 panic attacks and my hands are shaking so much so hopefully i dont make any typos.
    I only came out as bi, not trans. I feel so horrible.
    I did it without really thinking.
    My brother made me feel horrible about it (hes fairly abusive).
    I was just wondering if its normal to feel worse about yourself after coming out?? thanks.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey redpenguincat, Congratulations on Coming Out!:thumbsup: That took a lot of courage. I'm sorry that you are feeling so anxious about it, though.:frowning2:

Some people feel relief upon Coming Out. Some feel anxious - basically it's like buyer's remorse where we start second-guessing our decision to Come Out. But that anxious feeling should pass with time.

I'm very sorry that your brother is being so horrible about this. Frankly, though, it's none of his business.

I hope that your mom and your friends are being supportive.

Don't worry about Coming Out as Bi first and not Trans. It can take your friends and family a while to really process the fact that you Came Out as Bi. Telling them that you are Trans on top of that could have been extremely confusing for many or even most of them - especially because a lot of people don't really understand transsexuality. Give them time to process what you told them about your sexual orientation. You can address your gender identity with them a little later. I'm betting that you will get a lot of confused questions that mix and match gender identity with sexual orientation issues.

I wish you all the best!:slight_smile:

3. vivien

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey redpenguincat! I'm in totally the same situation right now. I came out to my friend and she was a bit surprised but really welcoming. Yet I still feel terribly anxious and I can't stop having anxiety attacks. I completely agree with Quantumreality about their advice. Anxiety will loosen up with time. Our bodies always seek balance and our mind will soon get back to working normally. Meanwhile, try to distract yourself. You were brave enough to come out as bisexual and you should treat yourself!
    Take care!

4. SixFlags

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It scary. I've only come out to two people, but each time, my hearts beats crazy for an hour after. For me, it's because I just revealed something I've hid for so long. It's scary and I don't know if I feel better after. But I do feel proud.