1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConfusedBiGirl, May 18, 2017.

1. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am still semi-exploring my sexuality but deep down I feel that I am not simply straight (but definitely attracted to guys - exploring bisexuality) and so I need advice about coming out. My family are completely supportive and open, but I have always been very shy around them in regards to my own sexuality. I will happily talk to them about other people's sex lives and sexuality but as soon as the topic of conversation turns to me I get all shy and embarrassed. I would even be scared to tell them I had a boyfriend or even had a crush on a guy, even though they are very open and happy to talk about those sorts of things among family I never have been. I suppose I am scared to lose my innocence around them, for all they know I have never even kissed anyone but the truth is I have gone a lot further than that.

In terms of my friends I am even more scared. I think on the surface they will all be supportive and pretend they don't care, I choose my friends wisely and I would say I am a good judge of character, however I am scared of them secretly feeling uncomfortable around me, worrying I will either fall in love with them (to be clear I never have been or could be attracted to one of my friends, I see them as purely platonic) or be offended by any little joke they make. I am scared of drifting from people I really love spending time with because of this. I know some friends who politically share the exact same viewpoints as me and wouldn't see me any differently, but we live in a small town and I also have friends who although say they are supportive of LGBTQ+ people, I have heard make certain comments or I have gotten vibes that they are still slightly close-minded (i.e. the kind of people who 'really want a gay best friend' as an accessory or think all gay girls fancy them, making little jokes which wouldn't be offensive unless meant offensively, if that makes sense). I don't completely blame them for that, because of their upbringing and I think if they were a little more educated on the situation they wouldn't still be that way.

So, in summary, the coming out advice I need on my family isn't about being scared to tell them because of what they will think, it is more for me, whereas the coming out advice I need on my friends is because I am scared of them treating me differently and growing apart from me.

Anyway, enough rambling, basically does anyone have any advice on what I could do in these situations? Treating coming out to my family and coming out to my friends as different scenarios.