1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do it casually?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by smolpsycho, May 22, 2017.

1. smolpsycho

I wanna come out to everyone. Mostly my mom, but she id the kind of person to like, cry and make a big deal out of it. She is religious but I think she is fine with it. And also, sometimes she will ask me if I am gay. I usually say no. Should I say yes and then like, play it off as a joke?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really want to come out, you should do it for good. Playing it off as a joke will not help you or your mom actually.

I'm a little bit confused though, because you say your mom is the kind of person to cry and make a big deal out of it, but in the next sentence you think she is fine with it. You seem to be contradicting yourself a little.

It sounds like your mom suspects you are gay, so it might not be such a shock if you tell her the truth. It might be a good idea to visit this website www.pflag.org and read and download some of the resources to give to your mom. If she knows you have done your research like this, it will help to convince her that you are serious and not joking.

3. smolpsycho

Sorry. I mean like, to me it seems like she would be accepting, but she would like, still make a big deal. And thank you for the resource!

4. Sienrar

Well, the best thing to do would just to say it. That's what I did. You don't need to make a big deal about, like asking them to sit down or anything, just tell them. You could also just slip it into a relevant conversation (about LGBT people).

But no matter what you do, how big of a deal people take it will also depend on the person that you're telling. Come out the exact same way to different people and they may react differently. If you think that your mom is going to make too big a deal over it, you can also tell her that it's not a big deal.

#4 Sienrar, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017