1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend doesn't seem to accept the fact that i am gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by andy97, May 23, 2017.

1. andy97

I recently tried to come out to one of my closest school time friends. To tread cautiously, I announced that I was a bisexual, although i am gay. His reaction wasn't a positive one and he was clearly flabbergasted. He kept asking me if I was joking or something. Instantly I decided not to go any further and told him that i was indeed joking. I love him and don't want to hide my true self from such a close friend, with whom I have been sharing every detail of my life, except this. I was hurt and also felt stupid because I don't want to lose such a dear friend, but at the same time, I don't want to pretend to be someone else in front of him. What should I do? Should I try to talk to him again about this, or just drop it, considering the fact I come from a quite conservative society.

2. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi andy97, it's great that you tried coming out to your friend. How would you feel about having another conversation with him? Because I think the fact that you've tried telling him will at least give him something to consider, even if it came across in a jokey way.

It would be good to have a more serious conversation where you can let him know how you feel more clearly and take it from there :slight_smile:

3. Hunter8

Think of it this way, OP. It took you some time before you realized you were gay and were able to vocalize it and accept it for yourself. So for some people in your life it may take them time to adjust as well to having a new understanding of you. It sounds like you have a pretty good friendship to build on with this friend of yours, so trust in that as well. Give it time, and your friend will begin to understand you better.

4. andy97

thanks HerRainbow and Hunter8, I will definitely talk to him again and give him time to digest all this.