1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Scene

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mrzach, May 1, 2009.

1. mrzach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey, i turned 18 quite recently, and im probably going to go to gay bars and stuff for the first time. the trouble is, i dunno if i really wanna go. im single, and really wanna change this for myself, but the idea of the scene scares me a little. i really dont wanna go out with someone that dances to 'funky house' music or watches musicals, this really isnt the guy im searching for, but i suppose the scene would be fun still. this probably makes no sense at all, but i really dunno if not going to a gay bar would really help me, or if should just not go :S

2. jcoventry1

best thing is to look at what your likes are, do you like pubs or clubs or bars? do you like musicals or theatre shows or cinema? when you know what you like and what you want a partner to like then you go to parts of the scene that cater to that. im not a clubby person so i gay to gay pubs or bars instead cos thats what i like. go where your happy and comfatable.

3. mrzach

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah that makes sense, i just find it weird that ive been waiting to be 18 for all this time, and now its happened i thought it would be different :confused: but yeah, when i said the scene, i was refering to mainly the clubbing part as this seems to be a major thing round nottingham, but yeah thankies for your advice

4. jcoventry1

no probs, i tried the clubby part once cos it was all hyped up, lets just say i was sooo not interested and went and found a nice lounge bar where i could sip winen ah to be 18 again sigh

5. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Clubs and bars are not for me. However, concerts, plays, movies, community events and the like... those are me. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Don't assume that just because everyone's going out to the club that you have to, and especially that you expected to enjoy it.

6. riddlerno1

You could always go and see what its like, theres no harm in that. You actually find that in the clubs and bars that there are wide ranges of different kinds of people. Plus there are alos many types of clubs too, so maybe you could find one to your taste.

7. tm74

tm74 Guest

I've tried the club scene a couple of times, and have reached the conclusion that it's not for me either - it's fine as an occasional thing, but I can't see it being a major part of my scene.

A slightly quieter pub/bar with friends and better music is more my scene. Make of the scene what you want to - don't feel you have to go with the crowd if that's not what you want.