1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qpoc?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Enigma, May 1, 2009.

1. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Has anyone joined a QPOC group or know about them? (Queer People of Color)

I feel like I'm one of those weird minorities, at least lookin black. Alot of people seem to either want to smoke a bowl or avoid me all together thanks to stupid stereotypes. And I don't do drugs, and rarely drink. So, I was just wondering if anyone else notices these things? I was actually discouraged from getting a white boyfriend by someone else. The point they were trying to make was that bi-racial relationships draw too much attention and rarely work. What do you think? Queer specific relationship wise that is. Not straight.

However, I rebuked my friend pretty well I think. What I said pretty much summed my feelings up. But, Lol, to that all I had to say was this:

"White and pasty? No, hot and tasty."

But I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed any trends along the same lines? Honestly, I don't see colors when I see gay people. I just all bunch'em up in the same category as "available" or "possible" instead of black, white, Asian, korean, Indian or w/e.

#1 The Enigma, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  2. EM68

I don't think race should matter at all. If someone loves someone it should not matter. My ex bf was African American and Cape Verde. Race was never an issue in our relationship.

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

What's Cape Verde? o_o

4. EM68

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So it was never an issue either way? Were you in any way matching races? (may I ask?) :slight_smile: You see, that's how I think. Race doesn't matter. Yet, some groups are more hesitant about 'out' dating than 'in' dating. But do you see the racism or exclusion? Where you seen differently from your peerage?

6. EM68

We met at a gay professional meet up. We started to talk to each other and exchanged business cards. A few days later he emailed me that he wanted to get to know me so then we started to go out. We went out to dinner a few times and a gay club. No one ever gave us a look. I never was out there to meet a certain type of person. It just so happen we started to talk and we hit it off.

7. Greggers

Location is a huge issue for this for sure.

Canada? Your honestly not going to get strange looks cause your "black and white" or any other race combo. Its Canada. The "pool" of cultures. We all just mix in with eachother till we are a big slop haha.

Your going to get strange looks cause your gay though. Two white guys, two black guys, or whatever it is. No, the looks wont be anger or anything, its just not a common thing for alot of straight people to see so they tend to give you looks. But atleast, were i live, your not going to be getting the looks based on race. For 9.5/10 people here id say race in a non-issue. White people are NOT a majority here, so i guess that helps.

For me personally, id date alot of different types of guys, but really really dark skin just does not do it for me. White and Asian are the ones im most attracted to, but im still not putting any limitations on because on because if i meet someone i meet someone.