1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dosage Change

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, May 1, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I went to my psychiatrist yesterday for the first time since I got out of the hospital.

It was a good visit; I had everything structured and planned with a printout of all of my recurring and new symptoms, issues, and everything that I'm going through.

After reading through this list and talking to me, she raised my Seroquel from 50mg to 400mg. At the 50mg, it was effectively just a tranquilizer, but at 400mg it is an actual medication.

Seroquel is an atypical anti-psychotic medication that is prescribed for disorders like Bipolar and Schizophrenia. It works by elevating and fixing mood shifting occurences as well as reducing delusional thinking and hallucinations (of which, I get all of the above, so hopefully this will work).

While my psychiatrist hasn't diagnosed me yet, she said that my issues could be from a few different issues: agitated depression, shifting bipolar disorder, shizoaffective disorder, or schizophrenia (paranoid subtype I'm guessing).

>.>

She made an appointment for 2 weeks, which is abnormal since she usually makes them for every 6 weeks to 6 months. At least I'm getting help....and at least my truly frightening issues will also be helped (you have no idea how scary it is to think someone is following you around or having an auditory hallucination).

#1 Swamp56, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  2. Mickey

I'm happy you're doing better. The good thing is,that in this day and age,there are so many different meds. My dad was schizo-affective and the only drugs there were then was haldol(which is a nasty drug with horrible side effects) and thorazine( same problems as haldol.) Thank God you were finally listened to and adjustments were made.
    I wish you well and I hope everything works out for you.

3. Zach

I just had my meds increased last month also, I feel much better now. :thumbsup: And until they know what the effect and outcome from the increased dosage will do for me, I have to check in each week for a while now. So don't worry about more frequent visits.... they only want to make sure they didn't give you too much of a dose of meds, or if they didn't give you enough of an increase to help you.:thumbsup:

4. arteb

Nah, I refuse to take meds. I hate them. I tell everyone I take all of them every day, but of course I'm lying. They're just like poison much of the time.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

When you have as many mental issues as I do, you kind of have to D: . If I didn't take my medication, I probably would have killed myself, and now since we don't want that, I take them :thumbsup: .

6. biisme

That's right. We don't want you to kill yourself. (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

I really hope that the dosage change helps you.

7. Mickey

I'm glad you're taking your meds. You're on them,for a reason.
    There is certainly no shame in getting help and for taking meds.
    I've been on anti-depressants for years. They saved MY life.
    I'm glad you're getting the help you need. All the best to you.

8. Eleanor Rigby

I'm glad that you are doing better and that you have asked for help. That was the right thing to do and I truly hope you will feel better soon.
    Take care of yourself, Eleanor