1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay acceptance rant

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nick79, Jul 6, 2007.

1. nick79

After a long chat with another EC member I've realised that I only tolerate being gay: I've realised that I cant change being gay and I thus try to make the most of a bad situation.

I've been told that my problem is precisely that I see it as a bad situation (rather than a positive situation).

I know all the great things that being gay brings to my life - but these ideas are in my head and not my heart. I guess that I've been brainwashed by a heterosexist world and I'm not particularly receptive to changing how I feel.

It gives me low self esteem which makes my life more anxious and coming-out a chore.

Help!

2. Crazy me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    <- not out so i dont give much advice
    but i think since no one knows 100 % on what happens after death that you should live your life the way you want to. No one has the right to tell you what is wrong that's your choice its your life. Others may not like the fact that you are gay but as long as long as your happy it should'nt bother you. I think we may not be sure of what happens in death but we do know we have life and it is a gift we should enjoy if you don't enjoy it that gift is wasted my point is ignore what others say be happy enjoy life.

not sure if this helps but i tried

3. 24601

It takes a while, to be honest. Just be proud, and obviously proud, when you can be. You are who you are, and nothing can change that. You have been brainwashed - almost everyone has been. But the first step to recovering is admitting it. It's not something that comes immediately, but it will come with time. As long as you stay strong and proud, everything will work out fine in your mind. Think of some of the positive sides of being gay, if that helps... A recent funny thing happened was when one of my straight friends was talking about how he has this plan to have unprotected sex with as many girls as possible without getting any pregnant, or something stupid like that. I just said, "Don't have to worry about getting anyone pregnant when you're gay." :lol: I know, it's still not good to have unprotected sex, but still funny.

Anyway, I think it just takes time, and a steady mindset. Good luck!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think everybody should look at being gay as having a gift. I really truly believe that having a gay son is a gift in my life. He was given to me for a reason. So many good things have come from it that it is difficult for me to see it any other way. The brainwashing that I had been brought up with went right out the window.

5. Jim1454

I have to admit that some days I only tollerate being gay, while other days I embrace it. For me, denying it all these years lead to some pretty negative consequences, so I feel I have a pretty good incentive to accept it and move on with my life.