1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Post (have a bit of a problem...)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Timm, May 2, 2009.

1. Timm

Hello everyone. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tim. I came out to my parents a year ago. They didn't respond well to it, and now they're pretending that nothing happened. I've had nobody to talk to, and when I'm alone I cry uncontrollably. I have a feeling like the walls are closing in on me.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

2. EM68

Hey Tim welcome to EC! You are never alone here. Relax and hang out for a while, you will feel better. :slight_smile:

3. olides84

Hi Tim. Welcome :smilewave

Yeah, why don't you just spend some time around here, participate in the forums, wall talk with people, etc. Maybe when you are feeling better personally, you can then start to think about how to approach your parents again.

4. Timm

Hi,
    i'm glad to have received such a warm welcome. I think that spending time on this forum will help lift me out of this depression I'm in.

5. GhostDog

Indeedy! A bunch of really supportive folks here. :slight_smile: We're here to talk to! And oh man, do I ever understand about that walls-closing-in feeling, but having people to talk to makes that feel so much better. Amazing how much opening up to somebody can help!

I hope you feel better here. :slight_smile:

6. Eleanor Rigby

Hi Tim and welcome to EC (*hug*)
    I'm sorry that you feel so depressed. But Ec is a very nice place to be around. I'm sure you will find people who will understand how you feel and will provide help and moral support.
    Take care, Eleanor

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Tim and welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile: I'm glad you joined. EC is a great place. Stick around and try to get to know some of the members. I'm sure it will help you to feel a bit differently about things.

I'm sorry to hear that you parents didn't react very well to it. At times, it can take a while for parents to come around and to accept it. For some the reaction is not to talk about it, because then it is as if it does not exist, which just postpones the inevitable reappearance of the subject.

Have you tried talking with them in the meantime? Often education is key and you are the best person to educate them. Have you tried giving them or just leaving educational materials for them to read?

Not to feel too lonely, maybe try joining a LGBT support group/GSA in your school or in the community where you live. Maybe try finding something online that will give you some leads as to whom you could be contacting or where LGBT youths meet up.

Also, you have indicated under your out status that you are out to a couple of people. Does this include a good friend? If so and if that friend is accepting and supportive, I would encourage you to talk and confide in that friend. Try not leave everything inside of you.

I hope this helps a bit! (*hug*)

8. Zac4

hey tim welcome to ec!

btw i dont know if u meant it this way but muse= awesome band

9. Timm

I did mean it that way, thanks for noticing!

I am out to a couple old friends, but since then i have moved and i have no way to contact them...

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that. Have you tried making some new friends in school?

11. Timm

I'm trying, it's just that I'm really shy. Also, I go to a school that is riddled with jocks, so I often hear "fag" this and "Fag" that. It's...discouraging.

12. littledinosaurs

hi! I'm sorry that you are feeling alone and lost but i'm glad you found EC (*hug*)

As for you new school, have you tired attending the GSA? (if they have one or some type of diversity club)
    it's a good way to meet nice accepting people.

13. Timm

My school has no GSA, i think i'll look for a community GSA.

14. EM68

What about a PFLAG group? I have gone for about 9 months and its been real helpful to me.

15. Mickey

Tim,
    Welcome to the EC family. I hope you find the answers you seek. There really
    are great people here. It's a good place to give/get advice,opinions,to vent,celebrate,whatever you need,and a place to just be YOU!

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that it has been difficult for you to make some new friends. But try not giving up on it.

I think that's a good idea. It's too bad that your school does not have a GSA but you might be able to find something in your community. Maybe try a few searches on the net. Also, as EM68 suggested, look into a PFLAG chapter or contact person for your area. They might also be able to provide you with some information.

Stick around on EC, it will also help you!

17. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

Hey dude, welcome to EC! (*hug*)

In my experience here over the past month or so, desspite everyones story obviusly being different, there's always somebody who can relate to a certain aspec of your experience. Sounds like a fluffy, no-way-that's-true statement, but it's true :slight_smile:

I've not yet managed to work up the courage to tell any of my family bar my little cuz so far so I'll just defer to the good advice posted above, but know that we're all here for you, we've all been through or are going through a tough time so don't hesitate, post whatever, whenever.

All the best mate!

18. Rygirl

Hey Tim,

it's great to have you here, you'll probably be surprised how many of us have gone through the walled up phase. Know that we all support each other here and there will be plenty of people ready to support you.
    Welcome to EC!
    Bryony

19. Timm

Thanks everyone. It feels great to have this much support.

20. Jesse Jinx

Hey Tim. When you feel unaccepted and alone, EC is definitely the place to come. These guys helped me through a lot, including coming out to my mom, which may have been the hardest thing I've ever done. You've found an amazing supportive family. We're all here to listen and help you. Welcome.

If you ever want to talk personally, feel free to message me anytime. I know how much high school can suck.